Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum User

Engine bay mysterious Knocking sound

hey guys, cars developed a knocking noise.. it sounds like it coming from within the inlet manifold..what is inside a standard one? it sounds like something has broken and is flying around the Inlet chamber/housing.
    maybe a nut or piece of metal.. just wondered if the manifold has bits inside which can brake... or if anyone has experienced the same issue!
    Thanks in advance!
    Dan

There are no parts inside the standard inlet manifold that could come loose. Also, there's nothing much that could break away, because it's a casting. If it breaks it's usually at the flange.

Dismantle everything and check, because if it gets sucked in, you can expect a big bill coming your way!

I doubt there is anything in there. Check everywhere else first. If you get a good torch you can shine it inside the throttle body opening after taking it off. Easy enough.

Does rattle subside at higher temperatures?

hi there i seem to have a ridiculous rattle sound just develop in the engine bay when the engine is cold,(oil pressure fine etc think its something and nothing rather than something serious) but the engine is comin out in the next couple of weeks so i can give you a few pointers when i find the source of the noise

Forum User
    h ok, thanks guys! can olny hear the noise when she's idleing. but it doesnt get worse if its hot..ill have it off this weekend i think, or as far as my talent takes me! & see if can see whats happening!! Also while im here! lol i remember seeing on here somewhere and gold help me ive looked about the gear leaver being to one side in nuetral and in the gears.. i have a bit of play in the gears but in all of them and nuetral is nearly all the way to the right.. i can feel where it should be n must be nearly an inch over...? any suggestions?

* Uncle Schakal * knitted by nanas since 1995 , now available with added GSOH
    Are you sure its not the noise of injectors ticking ??

Forum User
    no im not, wasnt aware that they would make a noise like this..or tick at all.. is that the injectors on there way out if thats the cause?

* Uncle Schakal * knitted by nanas since 1995 , now available with added GSOH
    Quote Originally Posted by Vandella
    no im not, wasnt aware that they would make a noise like this..or tick at all.. is that the injectors on there way out if thats the cause?
    Well ,yeah injectors do tick , its like ermmm... a ticking sound :D
    Might be worth sticking some wynns injector and fuel system cleaner
    in the tank .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uMjHFMl3KQ

Check your alternator belt tension, mine made a sound which sounded like the bottom end was gone when idling. But shut up when warmer.

think belt tension might be the answer, ive adjusted it right up and it has gone slack again, so would seem the logical soloution, like i say when i get a minute i am taking engine out anyway cheers