Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Define the following words..

We've all heard the following words used to describe the condition of a car but I'd like to know what other's think about it. If you can please describe what each term means in your view. Add some more if you wish!

Concours
    Mint
    Rough

The cars ive been to see that were described as mint have been sheds. Im sure matbrown will agree with that comment!

I hate the word MINT,everyone uses it to death,imo no cars mint unless its still in the showroom,no miles.

Concours is a french word,meaning something like a collection of prestigious cars,where everything is taken to beyond factory standards

Id call a car rough if its still ok to drive but had better days,patches of rust,kerbed wheels,faded paint etc

Quote Originally Posted by snowman
    I hate the word MINT,everyone uses it to death,imo no cars mint unless its still in the showroom,no miles.
    Totally agree with that one. WTf does mint mean anyways

Northy mentioned shed. Something that you would use to store something in or a car which has chickens living in it

Near Perfect and Showroom condition are possibly the same.

Wiki: Originally, the phrase comes from the way collectors describe the condition of coins. As the name given to a coin factory is a "mint", then mint condition is the condition a coin is in as it leaves the mint. Over time, the term "mint" began to be used to describe many different items having excellent, like-new quality

ah it makes better sense now.
    A car cannot be mint once it's been on the road just as when a coin goes into circulation.

But to be fair I'm guessing that "mint" may have a double meaning for some folk. A mint is also a sweet which freshens, so it's possible that people describe a car as mint if it is a fresh drive in other words it's got an excellent interior and drives as new?

I have some mint gold and silver coins. Still in their 'mint' packaging.

best examples within the club have got to be talkingfish's-williams 1 (which he did restore at expense i believe) and i believe hes won best in show @ FCS???

and big hp's old williams 2. very very clean

:D
    CLIO WILLIAMS 0215

Re: Define the following words..

Quote Originally Posted by fabulicious
    If you can please describe what each term means in your view. Add some more if you wish!
    "One of the best examples you'll see"

... generally translates to "if you have not seen any others yet. If you have then you'll probably conclude that this one is well below par"

Quote Originally Posted by FATBOY
    best examples within the club have got to be talkingfish's-williams 1 (which he did restore at expense i believe) and i believe hes won best in show @ FCS???
    His car has actually been entered into proper councours competitions let alone some shitty chav infested show & shine at a pokey little car show albeit a well deserved win at said pokey little car show I was surprised that such a sensible decision was made at FCS tbh