Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Le Mans 2012

Le Mans 2012

I'm sure this should be posted in the events thread, but just wanted to test interest.

Is anybody planning to go to Le Mans next year? It would be great to get a convoy of Williams' heading down (if there isn't already).

Friend of mine owns/runs White Rabbit Racing. They have a guest house and camp site in the grounds just outside Arnage (about 20 mins walk to the main gate), and we could a) get a cheap deal for camping in a well run site (no knob heads, fireworks, etc!) b) Get our own dedicated area.

It's only a small site (about 80 pitches), but last year we got some great cars. I had use of a Delta Evo 2 as my runabout, and we had DB4/DB5/DBS/911GT3RS/2 V6s etc. We also had the Toyota LMP1 media crew on site, and they gave us their access all areas passes for the Sunday!!

The other good bit is the site backs on to a small field. Cross that field, and you find yourself on the fence, at the end of the Mulsanne Straight, by Portsche Curves!!

If there is interest, I will find out costs and post this up in events.

Cheers!

I'd love to go, and a convoy of William's would be awesome. My old Uncle wants to go down one year too, but he says my car may not be his first choice for such a long journey lol :D

Quote Originally Posted by Wobba
    I'd love to go, and a convoy of William's would be awesome. My old Uncle wants to go down one year too, but he says my car may not be his first choice for such a long journey lol :D
    Try driving a Lancia Delta 500 miles. It blew its hoses off plenty of times!!
    Le Mans is so great, 3 days of racing (with other makes), last year we had Razorlight and a few others headlining a stage, and the ticket was about 70 Euros from memory. It is so cheap, especially when you throw in a BBQ and some of those cheap stuby bottles of french lager!!

Steer clear of the Guiness tent though. If you get sucked in, you are unlikely to see more than 8 laps in 24 hours! Ha!!

I'd be interested, although would need to check out the dates with the family. I'd be happy to convoy down but it is highly unlikely I would take the Williams I'm afraid.

Sure there will be a few spare passenger seats buddy. I know there is a big group from cliosport heading down too. Figured a convoy of Willys would look great though!!

Quote Originally Posted by MG1980
    Figured a convoy of Willys would look great though!!
    Yes,it would. And in their 'home' country too - would probably get a lot of interest along the route. Cheers for the offer of a passenger seat but I would probably still drive down there in something if I went but just not in the Willy as it still seems a bit fragile for such a long trip at the moment - I might have got some more work on it done and have the confidence by then though I suppose.

Forum User
    One of my ambitions to go - would love to take the Williams too... keep us informed of prices etc.

Hmmm, I'm also tempted. Maybe few of my mates would come along too.

What's the average cost not including the trip there (tickets, camp, parking, etc...)?

Quote Originally Posted by robi1000
    Hmmm, I'm also tempted. Maybe few of my mates would come along too.

What's the average cost not including the trip there (tickets, camp, parking, etc...)?
    Cost is much cheaper than you think. If you split the costs below with a passenger, it will cost you naff all!

Le Shuttle - £70 each way
    Petrol (from London) - £80 each way
    Race ticket (3 days of practice, Porsche cup, qualifying, classics) - £70
    Camping (including parking, showers, etc.) - £25 per night approx.
    Spends - £300 for five days if you smash it. £150 if you bring a BBQ and buy crates of cheap lager!

If you are careful and share with a passenger, you could do everything you need for 4/5 days and spend £400 - 450 all in!!

This is a rather tempting prospect for me too, especially if I can liven the monotonously coloured convoy up with a proper coloured valver :P