Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Forum User
    I've met Rob a few times, he just likes coming on forums and winding people up, hence why he keeps getting banned from sites.

Quite why he feels the need to wind people up i don't know, boredom?

Sometimes its quite fun to bait him.

BTW Rob i was refering to the ph2 clio, if you would be as kind as to dig up some stats on them please, must admit i never found the stats myself i was told by at the time a Reno tech who had a 172 iirc, so please feel free to clarify

Well the phase 2 1.2 clios had PAS electric steering didnt they?

Not sure what you are getting at to be honest, so not going to say you are wrong, but youll have to explain it better..

Quote Originally Posted by zmaster2k
    Robert Barrington I understand where your comming from...but surely it's down to personal preference...fine we get it you like PAS and if having that makes you feel like your driving a rally car...fantastic...I personally hated the PAS the feedback from my car with the manual rack is far better suited to my driving style and I like it. Personally the extra half a turn ltl isn't noticeable until parking...oh no!

I don't get you Robert Barrington you obviously know your stuff by why must you constantly beat your opinion into other people...why can't you just let it lie? And you persistence with re-registering with every account under the sun is bordering on clinical obsession. Maybe you should seek help about this? I dunno what else to suggest. I think I've met you in person a long time ago and I had no issue with you...infact thought you were well informed but why to you change into sombody different on here?!!

Peace out I'm done arguing with you as un-doubtibly the only time the argument will end is when you think you've won.
    Matthew Turner, thanks for that.

Ive had non power steering on most of my clios.

Williams rack not piped up.. This was abit to heavy imo the quickness of the rack made the steering heavy even when moving it made driving the car hard work.

1.2 rack.. Altho it had more turns lock to lock and was heavy for parking. Once the car was moving it was great fun to drive. If I was to get another clio and wanted to bin the PS I would do this.

Powersteering is the best tbh. The main reason I binned it off was due the powersteering pump making most jobs in the engine bay a ball ache. The cam powered Group A PS pump would be epic win

Forum User
    Before i fitted mine i checked the PAS rack and the 1.2 rack i was going to put in, iirc the PAS rack had 6 turns lock to lock, and teh manual 6.5 turns, was defo only half a turn difference, so each way when steering was 1/4 turn, not sure you'd notice that?

A Williams PS rack is quicker than a valver rack or any other clio in the Mk1 range.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunner
    Before i fitted mine i checked the PAS rack and the 1.2 rack i was going to put in, iirc the PAS rack had 6 turns lock to lock, and teh manual 6.5 turns, was defo only half a turn difference, so each way when steering was 1/4 turn, not sure you'd notice that?
    The williams rack is 2.75 turns lock to lock. Renault 19 PAS rack is 3.1. Every manual rack i have ever seen have been 4.1

Forum User
    Hello,

I was also one of those to convert my 16v to manual back in the day (2003 ish).

Mine was done with a 1.2 rack/column with bondys kit (1.7 brackets).

I found the steering was only marginally heavier when parking...certianly not unbearable. If the earlier poster (^^) is indeed Rob Barrington then hes met me me and can testify that i'm not muscle bound so my experience would be typical of an "average" person.

The reason i did it was the claims of around a 5bhp gain. I can't verify that but the engine certianly rev'd freer when it was done and having held a pas pump in my hand it definately adds a fair bit of drag on the engine so theres some performance gain to be had.

That said going from pas to manual did feel weird for quite a while until i got used to it.

Each to their own?

Also hello Winston and Rob - 'mon the old members! lol

Dont listen to Dougal, he is built like a body builder and has arms like pythons.

And Winston can handle Manual steering because he W***s so much. Can only turn left though.