Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

172/182 exhaust manifold

I know this has been asked before, but there's no definitive answer...

I know I would have to modify the flange on the manifold, but otherwise would it fit?

I found an old thread where sideways danny said there are some PAS pipes in the way. Would this be an easy mod or a complicated one (I don't have a 172/182 mani at hand to measure and do a trial fitment).

Reason why I'm looking into this is because 182 manifold looks strikingly similar to original Clio Maxi manifold. I need one, because my new engine will have hard time breathing through original manifold, but new Clio Maxi manifold is €€€, so I'd like to cut some corners...

I know that 172 and 182 manifolds are different, would fitment still be the same?

Just look at it!
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RENAULT-CL...-/110616614324

Forum User
    pardon my ignorance... BUT isnt the problem with this the fact that the f7r block is a 2inch outlet where as the 172/182 exhaust is 2.5inch bore...

so surely even if you change the flange that end its going to be of zero use to you...

i dont know all this 100% but i'm wondering... :D

Forum User
    pas fitting and line to the center of the rack is in the way. the head flange sits at a different angle. The oil pump housing fouls, starter motor fouls (use a 172/182 one) and the 2 branches of the 182 manifold are wider than the gap in the mk1 tunnel.

172 ARB would also be desirable to give some clearance

probably more things too, thats as far as I got.

Can buy my modded 172 manifold if you like Robi

Would oil pump housing be a problem on a 714 block (it's almost non existant on 714 block IIRC)?

There's probably no way around the problem that those two branches are wider then the tunnel?

Flange angle can be modified (I would have to make a new flange to fit it on F7R ports anyway, due to different shape). PAS line problem could be solved by using electric servo pump.

PM'd about mani...

Quote Originally Posted by ThRaXaIR
    pardon my ignorance... BUT isnt the problem with this the fact that the f7r block is a 2inch outlet where as the 172/182 exhaust is 2.5inch bore...

so surely even if you change the flange that end its going to be of zero use to you...

i dont know all this 100% but i'm wondering... :D
    2.5'' bore is just a plus, because whole exaust system will be custom made anyway, so all my options are open.

Forum User
    and the benefit of butchering a mani and moving all that stuff is?! :P

Good exhaust manifold for fraction of the price of a new Clio Maxi manifold?

Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by robi1000
    yeah.... and the bonus of a 'maxi' exhaust is? :P and yeah the whole exhaust maybe 2.5 inch bore but doesnt that mean you have to machine the block as its only 2inch?

There is no bonus on standard engine. My engine is however a bit modified and would benefit from uprated exhaust manifold.

I will change it anyway, but I want to explore different options and maybe we all benefit in the process.

Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by ThRaXaIR
    Quote Originally Posted by robi1000
    yeah.... and the bonus of a 'maxi' exhaust is? :P and yeah the whole exhaust maybe 2.5 inch bore but doesnt that mean you have to machine the block as its only 2inch?

standard manifold branches are a smaller bore than the port. Truly terrible manifold, I don't think you could do much worse with drinking straws. Think i measured them at 30mm a while back, and that's where they're not squashed. 172 and 182 manifolds are both brilliantly designed which is why there are no aftermarket upgrades available.

I fitted a megane F7R manifold to my car (now for sale also) and the improvement was instant over the williams shower of shit.

manifolds are not 2.5 inch, ports are not 2.5 inch.....LOL!!!!!