Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Just upset my pal in his MAZDA RX8 228 :)

Just thought id have a little gloat :D
    My pal got his RX8 (53) reg last week and he was saying its quite quick, so I thought ooh race on. Asked him how much a RX8 weigh so we looked online and it came up as 1430KG!!! thought they were lighter! Then looked at the 0-60mph = 6.4sec's with 146mhp top end.
    Anyway we did a standing start 1st with him getting off the line better I sun the wheels too much, backed off in 1st got grip then shot past as I changed to 2nd, pulled 2-3 car lengths ahead, 3rd- pulled away more 5-6 car lengths........... 4th and 5th was not much in it. I was flat out around 136mph @7200 RPM for 2 miles and he never had the speed to catch me.
    I was expecting him to come past top end as there was a long enough run up but nooooo.
    Clio williams2 = 1, Mazda RX8 = 0

my old man had one of them and it was pretty fast, never got a chance to race him properly though, good result!!

Yup I've had one of these too! Honestly not quick as what you'd expect!

He was not happy. :D I done the same thing with his CBR600RR against my Skyline. We did a rolling start from 60 and my car just pulled away lol
    He sold his bike after that and got a faster one

Forum User
    tbh they arent that quick from my experience of them. no torque is their biggest problem. They also drink oil like there is no tomorrow and break quite easily.

id be confident of been quicker than one in a decent williams. people are always suprised how fast mine is, i kept up with a new focus RS neck and neck going up a big bypass around here...as soon as the twisty bits come up i had to back off because of my knackered rear shocks, tried catching him again on the straight but no chance

Id say the williams still punches way above their weight against stuff like civic type R's etc. Wait untill you get one behind you on the motorway and keep booting it away from them,its quite amusing as they have to drop the box to keep up and by the time they do that your gone :D

Ive also consistently thrashed my mate in his vectra gsi on the straights which hasnt impressed him. I was suprised at this because i had a gsi estate and it was rapid for what it was, it did have a omega 3.0 engine fitted tbf instead of his 2.5.

Im yet to come up against a cooper S, cant wait until i do after reading all the negativity around the williams in their little mini world. They just go on book figures which we all know is a load of bull for these cars.

* Uncle Schakal * knitted by nanas since 1995 , now available with added GSOH

Re: Just upset my pal in his MAZDA RX8 228 :)

Quote Originally Posted by kneesparks
    I was flat out around 136mph @7200 RPM for 2 miles
    not just surprised you can rev it up to 7200 rpm but also in 5th gear ?? really ? is there much torque up there (past 6500rpm ) ??
    Is this a standard engine ?

Re: Just upset my pal in his MAZDA RX8 228 :)

Quote Originally Posted by schakal
    Quote Originally Posted by kneesparks
    I was flat out around 136mph @7200 RPM for 2 miles
    not just surprised you can rev it up to 7200 rpm but also in 5th gear ?? really ? is there much torque up there (past 6500rpm ) ??
    Is this a standard engine ?
    Engine is stock as far as I know with, Prowler 4-2-1 manifold, decat, Magnex system, airbox mod and gunner chip. It pulls fine in 5th all the way past the red line. Is this not normal with a chipped Williams?

i'd be more interested in why its only doing 136@7200rpm, my valver pulls off the clocks in 5th at 7000rpm, so over 150 indicated, needles nailed as far over as it'll go, not gps'd it yet but would guess its like 150mph on the gps at 7000?

What box you running coops? Coz u keep blowing them don't you? 136 is tops it don't show anymore in mine. I'll have a look again later to make sure of the revs but it don't show anymore than 136 on the clock.

originally used a JB3 valver box, then had 3 williams boxes, 4 meganes and 2 lagunas, 1 19 diesel box (topped out at 165 gps at about 6500 rpm with no more to give on the engine, needed more bhp!lol! silly long ratios) and now on a phase 1 172 box

all of them could clear off the end of the clocks at 7100 limiter easily, bar the diesel box obviously! which cleared off the end at 6000 and then hit a brick wall for power!

so i'd say they all had very similar ratios, certainly none with such short ratios as 136 in 5th @ limiter!