Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Forum User
    Right....Basically i have found a replacment box but its still on the car, and the bloke has no clue or tools to take it out but is breaking the car . Its a 2 hour drive from me and what to be as quick as poss on his driveway. can this be done without dropping or removing the engine.

I've got someone to take my engine out of mine so i can give it a service at the same time.

Thanks

Not really no It can certainly be done a bit quicker if the car doesn't ever need to go back together again but it's still quite a bit of work to get it out

In what direction is the guy 2 hours away? I'm in notts so could try & lend a hand

Forum User
    he's in lemmington spa. I'm in grantham. An extra pair of hands would be a big help. Its a complete car with bit of front end damage. all i want is the box and the wheels, so if you wanted some stuff as well.

Cheers

Don't you need to loosen the subframe bolts on the other side?

Can you leave the drivers driveshaft in place and slot it off the output shaft of the box when taking it out, or do you have to mess about with the stub axle on that side to get the shaft off the box?

Does the box drop through the bottom or come out through the passenger arch?

Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobba
    Don't you need to loosen the subframe bolts on the other side?
    Yes, as per my earlier reply in the thread:
    (undo passenger side but just loosen off on the drivers side to allow it to tip)

Can you leave the drivers driveshaft in place and slot it off the output shaft of the box when taking it out, or do you have to mess about with the stub axle on that side to get the shaft off the box?
    Just undo the drivers side bottom balljoint so you can easily move it about, its possible to do so without but just means more things to try and line up at once when putting it on.

Does the box drop through the bottom or come out through the passenger arch?
    Out the wheelarch, you just have to drop the subframe to give it clearance to do so as the box needs to drop down further than it can with that in place.

I've also taken it out the top before with the engine still in place, but you still need to drop the subframe a bit to manouvre it enough, wouldnt recomend it, it ends up scratching the bay as its not a loose fit at all, easier to just take it out the wheel arch.

Right ok, thanks. That helps picture things in my minds eye before going ahead!

Forum User
    If you take the wheel off and look in at the size orifice between the subframe and the chassis, it will become even more obvious why the subframe has to drop a bit

Oh ye, I spent enough time down there to see that, but just wanted to get the procedure in my head to do my gearbox swap.

Forum User
    Are you changing clutch at the same time?

If so make sure you put some effort into making sure the drive spline is central, otherwise you'll be there forever with the box wondering why it wont go on.

i find it just as easy to undo all 4 frame bolts completely and the pinch bolt to the column/ball joints, frame drops totally then and hangs off downpipe so its easy to drop the box out, no wiggling etc and scratching inner arch etc

can be done on drive no danger and captives arent too bad if they go wrong, simply prise the cage out with a screwdriver then get a stubby spanner on the nut, no danger