Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    * Uncle Schakal * knitted by nanas since 1995 , now available with added GSOH

Williams standard oil cooler

Did all Williams come with an oil cooler ?
    Do i really need one in a daily driver ?

Yes, the Williams came with a water to oil cooler.

If you see high oil temps in general daily use then yes, you would benefit from a cooler. If you don't then you don't! Worth getting one if it is going to have any track use and have a thermostatic valve so it is not used until temps do rise.

Some valvers had them as well but thinking of them as a cooler is a bit wrong, think of it as a heat exchanger for helping the oil get up to operating temperature a bit quicker when it's cold outside

Quote Originally Posted by stevie_b
    Yes, the Williams came with a water to oil cooler.

If you see high oil temps in general daily use then yes, you would benefit from a cooler. If you don't then you don't! Worth getting one if it is going to have any track use and have a thermostatic valve so it is not used until temps do rise.
    Thats the problem , i am fitting the williams engine into my 19
    and i really need to decide whether i keep the cooler or not before i actually
    fit the engine in there as it changes pretty much the complete pipe work.

If it's gonna be used daily throughout the winter then leave it fitted so you still get to the proper operating temps quicker but fit a proper cooler to as well if it's gonna get some abuse on track

Forum User
    Williams has more of a heat exchanger, it's not really an oil cooler, when you put proper oil cooler you quite extend the engine life of the engine, oil runs pretty much cooler.

As mark said, the 'oil cooler' is to heat the oil when its cold, just as much as cool it down when its hot.

The car wont be seeing any track action !

Does the F7R engine need the standard cooler more than the F7P ?
    The reason i ask this is , i dont have an oil cooler (from factory) on my 1991 renault 19 with F7P engine and the engine in there has always been fine even now after going through 146k miles !

I would like to remove the oil cooler if its just there because Renault have been over cautious .

On the other hand i dont think there is oil cooler on clio 1.7.2 and 1.8.2 models even on cup models ?

Quote Originally Posted by schakal
    On the other hand i dont think there is oil cooler on clio 1.7.2 and 1.8.2 models even on cup models ?
    Nope

No heat exchanger or cooler on the F4R..... but it is a different engine no?

maybe reno put the cooler on for homolgomation purposes. the 1*2s dont need them as thdy arent homolgomation specials??

if for just use as a daily its probably not worth it. a bit like replying to your posts, just for shits n giggles and to educate a moron. ;)