Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rear Brakes Seized?

Im pretty sure my rear brakes are seized after the car had sat for 8-9 months. Ive only done a couple of days driving but there is only a marginal amount of rust removal off the rear discs. The front ones are almost totally shiny again.

What's the procedure.. remove calipers and clean them up? Or might this be something to do with the bias adjuster?

handbrake works okay?

check the bias adjuster first, wd40 it and work it free if its seized. then its rip the calipers off and check the sliders

I give my bias valve a good clean every year, just for good measure

cheers guys, as ever! Your knowledge on these cars is great. I'm on a big learning curve!

Yep handbrake seems to work fine.

Where abouts is the bias adjuster found?

Behind spare wheel under the car, looks like some kind of contraceptive a woman might use. It's attached to a paddle that opens and closes a valve. When unseized, it should have a light spring to it. Remove the small locking nut, then the slightly bigger nut, and it frees the paddle. You can then WD40 it loads and wiggle it back and forth till happy its not seized at all.

When you reattach the spring/bar, only adjust the nuts so a light pressure is on the paddle. It needs to be able to go forward and backward. The more toward the front of the car the paddle is, the more open the valve will be, which is bad if the rear end gets very light (e.g. under heavy braking) as you can lock the rears up

It may take a wee bit of fine tuning, but tbh it's not rocket science.

Exellent, many thanks! I'll give that a go tomorrow.

Maybe not rocket science for you Wobba, but to a complete amateur like me it might as well be :D

incidentally, it would be great if i could maybe show my car to one of you lot with experience and knowledge of the Williams so I can draw up a list of what I need to do and what i should do first. I'm in London but willing to travel to a fellow petrolheads.

perhaps in exchange for a passenger lap or two in a Radical

Quote Originally Posted by Willbee
    incidentally, it would be great if i could maybe show my car to one of you lot with experience and knowledge of the Williams so I can draw up a list of what I need to do and what i should do first. I'm in London but willing to travel to a fellow petrolheads.
    Well, winter season is almost here. I guess your best bet would be to suss the car out at your leisure and read up here, then pop along to a meet or two next year and let some of the guys and gals have a poke about That way you can check out some of the other Willies and Valvers too.

Quote Originally Posted by Willbee
    perhaps in exchange for a passenger lap or two in a Radical
    Hmm! Tempted lol.