Thread: Short shifter

Forum User

Short shifter

Hi All

Does anyone have any good guides or tips on how to fit a short shifter to a williams.

Cheers

Simon

You mean the gearlever part or the gearbox link bar mod?

Forum User
    Gearlever plese.

I think I just removed the exhaust heatshield (11mm thingy nuts), undid the gear lever link, undid the 4 nuts holding the gearlever housing in (can't remember if you HAVE to do this, I did as I couldn't get gear lever out).

Inside the car you need to take the gear knob off, and pull the gaiter up and off too. I had to destroy my gearknob to get it off.

Underneath the gear level is held on by a large circlip. Need to get that off with circlip pliers to get the gearstick out. You may be able to do this without taking the whole housing out, I can't remember.

If the housing needs to come out, it's a damn tight fit with the exhaust in the way so you may need to remove the CAT/decat.

Fitting is the reverse.

(inside the car) knob and gaitor off, (underneath) take off the linkage arm from the shifter, then remove the decat heatshield, using very good circlip plyers remove the clip and pull the shifter towards you to remove.

job done.

No need to destroy the gear knob. Get the whole gear lever housing off the car. Dismantle the bottom and the ball joint of the gear lever and you will be able to pull the gear stick out from the housing.

By the way, if you bought the cheap copy of the MB Performance short shifter, it will be very cold in winter (due to the alloy gear knob).

Forum User
    Thanks all.

Will let you know how i get on with this, will try and take some pics as well.

Yes it has the alloy knob, might have to get some leather driving gloves what waht and all that

Thanks again

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Yanoo_
    No need to destroy the gear knob. Get the whole gear lever housing off the car. Dismantle the bottom and the ball joint of the gear lever and you will be able to pull the gear stick out from the housing.

By the way, if you bought the cheap copy of the MB Performance short shifter, it will be very cold in winter (due to the alloy gear knob).
    Mine got shagged anyway, and I wasn't planning on re-using it

Sorry, I forgot to mention:

These short shifters come with a very short small linkage (this connects the long linkage with the gearbox). Sometimes there is no enough space fpr the gearbox selector arm and clevis bar rubber gaiter, resulting missing gears (especially reverse). Ask Wobba for details, he had this problem.