Megane RS Trophy Nr. 0004

Just drove Megane RS 265 Trophy nr. 0004!

Car is seriously fast! Ride is good and not too harsh, handling is good and that engine is just crazy! Once turbo kicks in it just pulls up to the limiter where it beeps, so it's like whoosh, beep - whooosh, beep - whooooosh, beep - and there goes your license!!

I will write a more detailed review later!

* Uncle Schakal * knitted by nanas since 1995 , now available with added GSOH
    Dirty Boyyyyy :P

Some pics:

ohhh.... liquid yellow

Beauty..... :D

They do pull very nicely (especially going up Eau Rouge) - apart from that a well sorted Willy with ITB's will do very well against the Megane RS

Would love to have one though.....

Michael

I promised I will write a more detailed review...

Anyway, first thing one notices compared to our Clios is pace. This thing is fast! I don't think there's a very noticable difference compared to regular Megane RS 250, but I guess it shows on the track.

There's no massive turbo lag, just the right amount so that front wheels have the time to cope with all the torque thrown at them.

Handling is superb in longer corners, it feels planted and secure. In tight corners it shows a little bit of understeer at the beginning of the turn, but when that LSD kicks in nose stays planted. Rear end is very neutral and can be made to slide with some throttle/steering wheel action. Ride is acceptable for what it is and one could live with it everyday.

Brakes are Brembo and do their job very well over and over again.

Interior feels very solid, with good materials and finish. Seats are great, sporty but not uncomfortable. Pedals are well spaced, so some footwork is possible (unlike old 225 megane where this was not the case, at least on LHD version). To summerise, driving ergonomics are good.

Rear visibility is rather poor, but that is to be expected with such a small rear window placed so high.

Another great thing is RS monitor, which shows all the car's parameters like boost and temperatures. It also has built in G meter. You can also change throttle response. Feels like mini Nissan GT-R.

Exhaust pops on overrun and when shifting and even standing still and just revving the engine. It has a good sound for stock turbocharged car.

When Renault relesed Megane R4, I couldn't get myself to believe it would be competitive against EVOs and STIs on tarmac stages. But after driving this car, I can see that with a little bit of added power and some racing suspension and tires it's possible. Not on a loose surface, but on tarmac, this car is a weapon!

Want one! In liquid yellow!

Liquid Yellow is rather expensive option, about 1600€ IIRC.