Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Camber

Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobba
    When you say the passenger side is not playing ball, it seems the camber prior to adjustment used to be more favourable (-0.2) than it is now. I can only assume the guy has sent you out with equal camber both sides to create some kind of steering consistency...however, I suspect you have a bent part as the SAI on the drivers side is low.
    As per my comment above his SAI is high one side and low the other.
    If he leant the car over 1 degree, they would both be in tolerance.
    Seems more like the car ride heights are wrong to make it lean one degree than that he has managed to bend both sizes by one degree in opposite directions.

It could be the following, probably drivers side:

Valver/poverty spec driveshaft on drivers side (wrong length)
    This cannot effect any of the geometry settings, all that will happen is the shaft will knock its tits off and/or pull apart, it wont move the hub around though or anything like that.

Bent/incorrect strut
    Bent Wishbone (or even very perished bushes) or incorrect length lower balljoint
    Bent tie rod end
    Bent subframe
    These can all effect its static position but none of them would stop the camber bolts making a larger change than half a degree IMHO

Not sure if this is possible but the position of the engine (due to engine mounts) could be so extremely wrong it would make the bias to left and right suspension as seen there, maybe.[/quote]

Forum User
    ahh... right so first things first..would be to get the ride height corrected.. how would u go about this? is it a case of tightnening/loosening the spring?
    i was hoping this wouldnt make too much difference but a few years back it was involved in an accident.. rear nearside wheel or above it, was damaged. it was a class c write off, but its not noticable now.
    Ii would have thought that if someone had gone to the trouble of replacing /mending this damage they would have checked for bent parts elsewhere.. so maybe i have a bent subframe?? im unaware of how hard the impact was though.
    how much is a new/salvaged subframe? matbrown if ur reading?? lol
    so what would be the first plan of attack?..get the suspension/ride height sorted.. then ponder over a bent or damaged part?
    as for bent/damaged/wrong parts.. ive never had the driveshafts changed..the lower balljoint are defo the right ones.. i may go n measure/check the bottom struts/wishbones. any idea how much of a difference there is between the wide track and a normal clio?
    I think i got my side's muddled up by the alignment data sheet! lol
    Thanks for all ur help guys!
    I WILL GET TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS!! (with some help!)

Ok, so the driveshaft may not make that kind of difference but the results in the alignment above only tell us a little about the camber correction bolts and the final settings they left it at. They may have made a bigger difference (more than half a degree, at least on one side) but we were not there to see it.

Can we see a picture of the ride height on both front wheels please? And a head on picture with the car on level ground, at bumper height?

Forum User
    sure can mate! ill try n get em up 2nite!
    I was thinking.. this other problem im having... has been worse (noise n feel wise) since i had my clutch replaced.. could the whoom whoom noise ive tried to describe infact be a noise produced by car n engine if the mounts were shot to s**t? maybe im trying to make this the problem..lol but if the engine is not stable..it will make a wobbling (whoom) noise thru the exhaust as its rocking in the bay.... kinda as chip was suggesting n that then if this is the case; that the mounts are that knackerd that the driveshats are not coming out the gearbox straight n not giving me enuff length (thats what the missus always says anyway...whey) or its not sitting right to give the correct camber... could this also affect the SAI do u think?

hopefully one problem fix fixes them all!

Forum User
    can anyone tell me where i can get both the upper front engine mount and or bush and also the same for the gearbox mount too.. i can only seem to find the dogbone mount on t'internet. ta muchly

Pics will be up tonite wobba

Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobba
    Ok, so the driveshaft may not make that kind of difference but the results in the alignment above only tell us a little about the camber correction bolts and the final settings they left it at. They may have made a bigger difference (more than half a degree, at least on one side) but we were not there to see it.

Can we see a picture of the ride height on both front wheels please? And a head on picture with the car on level ground, at bumper height?
    Are you hoping to spot a 1 degree incline in a picture?

Forum User
    here's the pics u asked for! and a few more!! apart from the problem..the wheels are still sweet n paintwork n arches r good!!!..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by jock
    I think you have had a lot of work done on your front end?

Very Much so..

It doesn't even look Widetracked to me, probably Valver running gear with Williams shocks or something...

Agree ^^