Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Camber

Forum User

Camber

Hey guys, i had a four wheel alignment yest as my front tyres were getting shredded.. ok..now as far as im aware the times ive had it changed/altered.. the camber has never been right.. it had new stock springs n shocks last year along with new struts..this year its had the rest done..track rod ends, lower balljoints and bushes replaced.. and in an attempt to get the camber back close to where it should be ive bought the camber adjustment bolts.. it made a difference on the drivers side but the passenger side is not playing ball. as u can see on the pic.. the closest the guy could get was what they have both been set too..+0.25' any ideas what could messing this up? suspension not seated properly.. not the correct wide track parts? i get a knock on hard turning but sounds as if that is an mount somewhere.. and not related. (this will be sorted in due course).. also not greatly related to the camber.. i get a grinding/rubbing noise when im turning now..it making for terrible road noise and i can feel it thru the pedals.. wheel bearing perhaps? or poss a warped disc.. its ok when stright but as soon as i start to turn either way i can feel the rubbing/grinding and seems to speed up n slow down with the car..this creates an almost whoom whoom whoom niose..if that helps!! lol. ta chaps!
    Attached Images Attached Images

+0.25 degree camber is wrong, definitely not going to do you any favours.

Pretty much every modern car uses a bit of negative camber on the front wheels. I am surprised they sent you out with that set up? It's wrong, even a novice should know that.

Camber bolts should be in the top bolt hole. You can adjust them to add or reduce camber to a couple of positive or negative degree as far as I can remember, so easily enough to set your car correctly from what I can see of your figures.

As for the rubbing/grinding. Jack the car up, wheels on full lock, rotate the wheels, check for tyres rubbing on arch. If nothing have a visual inspection under the arch and see if you can see anything like rub marks. It could be the CV joint I guess, what direction are you steering when the noise starts?

Also, check which way your steering wheel points when you take the key out of the ignition and click into the steering wheel lock. It should point straight ahead in locked position, if not the the rack is not centred correctly and they'd set the 'straight ahead' wrong when doing your tracking.

Forum User
    Have you fitted new strut top mount bearings, this might affect camber and makes for a much smoother steering feel. I think you have had a lot of work done on your front end? But there must be something strange if the camber bolts cant fix it as im sure wobba reckoned on at least 2 degrees of adjustment on his?

Forum User
    Hi wobba! . . . Beat me to it by 30 sec or so! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by jock
    Hi wobba! . . . Beat me to it by 30 sec or so! Lol
    Hai :D

I wins lol.

Forum User
    ok..thanks guys..i will check to see if the bolts are in the right hole.. even with these bolts the guy couldnt get it in any futher on the passenger side .. the drivers side is fine n has no problem getting the correct camber. but he set them both the same..which is the resluts in the pic.
    i will check for tyre rub or any rub marks Shortly

As for the top mount bearings.. it had new top mounts when the shocks and springs were put on.. it came as a kit apparently.. would this have included the bearing? it had new bushes n ball joints after..could this have messed it up to start with, as there was abit of play from both bottom ball joints?

The Steering has been centralised..i made sure that was done as it was out and quite disorientating!! the only thing that hasnt been changed altered are the bottom struts n bushes.

Forum User
    the rubbing/grinding or what eva the noise is has only got louder/noticable within the last month or so..

If I could poke around the car I could find the problems. The noises are probably a bearing or CV joint.

Have the driveshafts ever been swapped out?

Have a good look at the subframe as well, if bent it may cause an issue.

Forum User
    ok i shall have good look cheers mate.. i dont think they have.. i get click as u turn..(full lock) thats the outer cv joint..correct? is there anyway to check or does it have to come off to check it? u southhampton?.. i may make a journey along the coast if i cant get my head around it! put ur noise finding skills to the test! lol ill kepp it updated n u may hear from me Wobba!
    cheers