Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Engine Misfire

Check the wiring loom along where it comes out of the relay box on the passenger front inner guard in engine bay. I had a similar problem where the loom rubbed through against the body and had corroded some injector earths.hope this helps I know it's nasty when your trying your best to fix something and no matter what you do it doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by dimma
    Check the wiring loom along where it comes out of the relay box on the passenger front inner guard in engine bay. I had a similar problem where the loom rubbed through against the body and had corroded some injector earths.hope this helps I know it's nasty when your trying your best to fix something and no matter what you do it doesn't work.
    Is that under the inner splash guard, or where the fuses are next to the washer bottle?

It's the big black box behind the passenger headlight.the loom runs to and from that.

Quote Originally Posted by dimma
    This! Also check the earth strap to top of gearbox....that was my issue.

Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by cjspindler

The car had a FPR already fitted when i bought the car.
    put a standard one back on. If it's an FSE boost valve, this is most likely the source of your problem

Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways danny
    Quote Originally Posted by cjspindler

The car had a FPR already fitted when i bought the car.
    put a standard one back on. If it's an FSE boost valve, this is most likely the source of your problem
    If it has been remapped with the current FPR and then he changes it back to standard then things could easily get a LOT worse as a result.

NEVER make a change to the FPR without wideband equipment to check the changes havent leaned your fuelling out or you could end up with a melted engine as a result.

I've checked the compression of each cylinder today and have the following:

Cyl 1 = 192 psi
    Cyl 2 = 190 psi
    Cyl 3 = 200 psi
    Cyl 4 = 198 psi

This looks very good to me, so i think there is no problem with the head gasket.

I've checked to see if there is any earth issues and cant find anything there either, although i must say the wiring on my car is a bit all over the place.

One thing i noticed when i started the car after completing the compression test was the car smelt like it was running very rich.

I adjusted the FPR a little to see if this changed, and when turning it down 1/4 turn it almost stalled on me, and when turning it up 1/4 turn it started to smell even more rich.

Does anyone have any more suggestions i could try for tomorrow?

Cheers.

Has the car been mapped or chipped or anything with that fpr?

The compression is good.

If my cars misfiring I locate the problem piston by either pulling the spark plug lead off one by one and starting the car each time, being bloody careful not to get electrocuted, or the injector power. When you disconnect the misfiring one the engine note will not change, the other three will make it run even worse.

I would fit an OEM ECU and go back to a standard regulator/rail., or at least borrow a set to trial fit and test.

The richness will be because you had a bunch of unburned fuel doing the comp test.

I've just changed the fuel filter, and been out for a test drive.

It seems to have improved it somewhat, but I still get the occasional misfire.

I've also heard that there could be a problem with a leaky rocker cover and oil leaking into the chamber. Is this something that anyone has experienced?

Starting to struggle for other items to try myself now, but i'm prepared to try any other suggestions before it goes in to the garage!

Cheers.