Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Have a look at Jay S and his set up. I think he is about on 180bhp after a long time fine tuning it. He uses Piper 285's on an APD spec big port head I think. He has a Supersprint manifold as well.

Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by MatBrown
    You would need cams and headwork to see 170-180 bhp.
    I dont agree with that TBH, mine made 171bhp on a dyno dynamics rolling road (what I tend to go by) without cams or headwork, just a better exhaust and a set of bodies and I remapped it on aftermarket management, and that was quite a tired engine.

I reckon the core engine is easily good for 180bhp in the right circumstances in terms of intake and exhaust.

Cams and headwork do make it a lot more easy to achieve though of coure, but I wouldnt actually say they are needed.

Quote Originally Posted by chip
    Quote Originally Posted by MatBrown
    You would need cams and headwork to see 170-180 bhp.
    I dont agree with that TBH, mine made 171bhp on a dyno dynamics rolling road (what I tend to go by) without cams or headwork, just a better exhaust and a set of bodies and I remapped it on aftermarket management, and that was quite a tired engine.

I reckon the core engine is easily good for 180bhp in the right circumstances in terms of intake and exhaust.

Cams and headwork do make it a lot more easy to achieve though of coure, but I wouldnt actually say they are needed.
    So you were using throttle bodies instead of standard intake?

Forum User
    Yes, throttle bodies, aftermarket management, but a core standard engine, ie standard head and cams specifically.

If you were refering to while retaining the standard inlet, then yes I agree you would need cams as the standard inlet doesnt breathe very well so you need to breathe through it for longer per revolution.

Forum User
    My 80k miles engine did 158 bhp with k&n panel filter and performance exhaust.
    Otherwise it's full standard engine.

But willy's are strange, there are some that are fast as **** (mine keeps up with 182 without any problems), and there are some that go like 1.8 valvers maybe bit better in low rpm's).

Forum User
    Upps, and I got chipped ECU, sorry.
    So, 80k + k&n panel + exhaust + chip = 158 bhp
    Quite good for 18 year old girl :D

Forum User
    Really depends car to car. had mine remapped at multiple stages and got...

SS exhaust...151bhp
    SS exhaust, Decat, filter and gunner remap....168bhp on one RR and 172bhp on a different RR

Car now has a janspeed SS exhaust, decat, 4-2-1 manifold, KJ16v remap and foam air filter......Still havent rolled it but judging by whatever KJ did to it it WILL put out more i guarentee it!!! :D

Also ask Cliolord about my car hes driven it and wants my engine. :P

engines done 123k

I may have to get KJ16v to custom map mine then, I did send him my ecu for him to solder in the chip carrier and plug in the gunner chip. The manifold was a bitch to fit!
    I get the odd times when it ticks over badly and sounds like its got some lumpy cams in, I just give it a quick rev and its fine again. Im not too worried about power in the clio, its my daily driver so needs to be reliable.

KJ mapped mine too! Really made a difference.

But If mine makes 180bhp on a dynodynamics RR I'll eat my hat.

But tbh.... I don't care my car defiantly quicker than a standard I one by far! I don't really care for figures....hense no recent rolling road. I'm quite happy for now lol (well I will when it's painted lol)

Quote Originally Posted by chip
    Yes, throttle bodies, aftermarket management, but a core standard engine, ie standard head and cams specifically.

If you were refering to while retaining the standard inlet, then yes I agree you would need cams as the standard inlet doesnt breathe very well so you need to breathe through it for longer per revolution.
    Yeah, i wasn't saying the ONLY way to get 170-180 was with cams/headwork. lol