Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Head gasket

Head gasket

Think it is on the way out. So was wondering how big a job it is to do?
    Any advise would be appreciated.

Forum User
    It's a days work realistically, but will actually be 2 half days as you'll need to wait for the head to be skimmed.

Oh ok nice one. Where is best place to get the kit from and how much does the skim tend to cost?

Forum User
    Stick to a goetze gasket, dont be tempted by the ebay cheap and nasty BGA ones.

I dont know a good retail place for them as I buy all stuff like that through the motorsport contacts I have who go straight to people who dont deal direct to the public, but hopefully someone else on here can recomend a good place that sells to the general public.

Head skim about 40 quid or so.

Ideally while it is apart you want to lap the valves in as well, but that'll be another afternoon gone at least if you havent done it before.

Taking it all apart like that is a good chance to do so many other things as well. I took ages doing mine as I had no idea what to do and ended up cleaning it and refurbing several other areas that needed attention.

What other sorts of things do you mean. Can't really afford to have the car off the road for long though due to work.
    What do you mean by lapping them?
    Sorry but new to all this

Lapping is a process used when you remove valves and it's what you need to do when they go back in. But how far are you stripping the head down? is this purely just to put a fresh head gasket in place?

if it's just a basic head gasket change you won't need to do this, you need to remove the head, make sure the head surface is flat use the basic solid metal rule that must be perfectly straight and go from corner to corner aslong as contact is made all across all will be fine then do the same on the block or take the head to a local garage / machine shop and ask them to check surface if you don't feel confident doing the ruler way.

You will need new stretch head bolts, new head gasket as peeps have said Goetze or I like to use the Mellior gasket in which K-tec sell for £30ish, coolant, and oil will also be needed, new copper sump washer aswell.

Makes sure you do the head bolts in the correct sequence following the 6 stage tightening sequence.

The hardest part of the job i found was adjusting the tensioner for the cambelt as my engine is in an R5gtt I have very little space to get my sausage hands in, but just don't do the belt to tight at all.

If this is your first time just take your time plenty of advice on the boards if you need, doesn't take long if you have done it before either, make sure you have all the parts before you start aswell. :D

Forum User
    Lapping in the valves isnt just done when you remove valves, its done to improve valve seal.
    Most high mileage motors are losing a few lbft, especially at low rpm due to valve seal having degraded, lapping them in will get you back that.

Right thanks for all the advise. I should be starting this in about 2 weeks. I have also been advised that the steering rack is not in the best shape so been mentioned to do this at same time as easier to get to when all off. Does this sound right and how easy a job is it?

Forum User
    TBH you would probably be best off dropping the entire front subframe and engine/box and steering rack all out together and just sort everything that is on your to do list in one go, its all just so much easier out of the car.

Put a new clutch on too if it hasnt had one recently, set of rings, new oil and water pumps etc.

Do it all in one go and then you know its good for ages after that