Clutch Pedal Stuck Down

I made it to FCS and back without major incident but there is an issue with the clutch pedal sometimes. It feels very stiff for a start, but might be normal - stupidly I forgot to ask to try out any of the other cars at FCS to see! The main problem though is sometimes it gets stuck in the down position. This is often accompanied with quite a loud bang - the first time it happened I thought the cable had snapped. However, if you push the pedal again you can hear the ratchet reapply as the pedal comes up and it then works again as normal. Once or twice it has got stuck at the down position but reaching down and (lightly) pulling it back with my hand it then seems to work okay for a while again. Is this a common problem on Clios? What should I be looking to check or replace - could it be the pedal assembly/ratchet or the clutch cable and its routing or could it be within the box itself, like the release bearing sticking or something?

Bump. Anyone have any ideas?

pedal/ratchet assembly mate. is always worth replacing cable too imho.

Cheers. I will order a new clutch cable then - always useful to have a spare lying around I suppose anyway, which the current one could become once I have swapped it. As for the pedal assembly, if I start by removing the current one (I haven't driven the car since FCS and it is not urgent it is driveable so I wouldn't need a replacement to hand when I remove it) am I likely to be able to tell from inspecting it that it is faulty/worn out and the probable cause before I bother ordering a new one of those?

the plastic teeth wear mate. i usually find its on the 2 black bits rather then the white bit in the middle that wears tbh. hate doing them , they are a tw@.

Forum User
    As above mate, same problem on my 5 turbo, its a common problem, the new Renault item is of better quality as they realised there was an issue, so I was told by dealer parts.