Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadwick
    You dont mess about do you?!
    OCD when it comes to the car slightly different when it comes to house DIY though :D

Quote Originally Posted by schakal
    Good stuff matey , loving the 5 in the best colour as well
    Cheers Schakal nice to see and RTOC member on here aswell you will have prob seen me on the RTOC boards over the years :D

Well little update :(

And the damage I found to number 3 JE forged piston when i got it out to remove / replace the rings. It is currently at the mahcine shop having the ring gaps sorted and widened to except OE size rings as the JE rings I had are going to be to thin, at least it can be saved and the piston is still round.

Forum User

Any idea how this could happen?

Maybe you should contact the distributor or fabricator to try and get some money back. How is the cyl?

Quote Originally Posted by tutuur
    Any idea how this could happen?

Maybe you should contact the distributor or fabricator to try and get some money back. How is the cyl?
    I have not even driven the car with this engine in yet ,

Unfortunatly I bought the engine 2nd hand for quiet alot of ££££'s and it was apparently running (think I have been mugged), I have been lucky enough to have a decent machine shop near to where I live and they have sorted the piston out but it involved widening the piston ring slots, this was fine as I can now use OE size piston rings within as the JE jobbies are alot thinner so managed to save this piston.

With ref to causation I would say bad det / knocking. i think a number of things could have caused this the T25, chargecooler or the 3bar fpr reg he was using. i believe 3.5 bar fpr is required.

I have so far changed a few things on the fueling side of it I have fitted a brand new Walbro 255 external pump, 4 bar fpr (Audi bosch jobbie fitted rail perfect), and just purchased a 2nd hand T28 pulsar GTIR turbo with the .86 rear housing so this should be much better than the T25, just need to get intercooler now but again I am doing pod on the 1st July so need this car to be running before then at least a week before so I can drive and iron out any niggly problems which there are bound to be (so chargecooler will be staying a little longer).

Engine is going back together tonight and I will prob have time to drop it in the 5 aswell

Arent alloy pistons case-hardened?

That to me doesnt look like its had any treatment and is soft alloy,i dont know a lot about car engines so might be terribly wrong but i do make aero engines and our alloy is always treated to make it more durable??

The consistent fuel press is not the problem but it needs to rise with the boost press. In that way fueling can be much better weighed by the injection system.

Does the vw fuelrail bulg have a nipple for the absolute press in the manifold?

Also the t28 will prevent the hotside getting way to hot and will not be burning exhaust valves.

What have you paid for the engine if u like to share?

Forum User
    please...

What is it u are trying to say?