Thread: Oh Deer!

Oh Deer!

Last night i was coming from my fiance's house in the works car/van/spazvan. I was coming down a back road near a country park, doing approx 60/65 mph, went over a slight crest with a right kink on the top of it. Navigated it all ok.

Then i travelled a few metres up the road and a large deer decided to launch itself at the Doblo. I had noticed headlamps coming the opposite way to me, so had to keep my wits about it.

The airbags deployed within a split second, with a redicilously loud bang. I now couldnt see a thing infront of me, all senses of where i was on the road had dissappeared, so i put the brakes on hard, trying to keep the steering wheel as straight as possible.

Eventually after what seemed a age, the car stopped to a halt, by the time i had got out, the people who were in the other car was at my door side near enough, i got out a tad shaken up, but running on adrenaline by then.

The dear was still alive (for now), someone had put it out of its misery for now. There was coolant and steam everywhere, the horn constantly buzzing, so i ripped the wires out of the horn to stop that from sounding.

The dear was literally 3 metres away from hitting the other one coming car, thankfully it missed, as it could have been a very nasty accident, with multiple cars involved.

I had to go for a walk, i felt like i needed to clean the debris from the roadside, no idea why - a woman was shouting at me 'ARE YOU OK, DON'T COLLAPSE ON ME!'. I was ok, but i can see why she would say that. Anyway she came and helped me, i threw the debris in the car.

In the meantime, i could hear a fast car, coming ourway - considering we was on a crest of a hill - it could have been a very dangerous situation. It was a Civic EP3 type R, well into 'Vtec y0!'. Next thing you heard was locking up brakes, he was not slowing down either, he stopped via the grass verge and very nearly knocking the lady over who was this time, launching herself further into the verge. He drove off, like nothing had happened. I really really wish i had got time to get his reg. Arsehole.

Anyway, phoned police etc up. The command board girl wasn't the brightest to be fair, but oh well. The police came, organised recovery, took a very brief statement from myself. Really really nice blokes actually - the sort of people you'd happily go for a drink with...

They took the keys and told me i could go on my way. (My fiance was here by this point).

Rang where the car was this morning, charged my work £250 to release the car. Its now gone to one of our internal bodyshops, to get written off by all accounts. Work seem fine about it, thankfully, as it was a pure accident. Just very very unlucky it was me in the position.

Anyway, on the bit you all want to see...

If i was in my williams, id probably be in hospital by now, instead im suffering from a slight burn from the airbag on my left arm and a slightly whiplashed right shoulder from the seatbelt.

The safety aspect of new cars is amazing - it 100% saved me from a possibly very nasty injury or worse.

Regards,
    Jamie

Forum User
    Glad to hear in the circumstances you are ok mate. It is frightening when this happens and the end outcome is very much out of your hands.

Bloody heck, it could have been far worse. I guess safety has it's place, it does not bare thinking about what it would be like in an old Clio.

Forum User
    what about the deer ? Sounds like a stupid question but in Germany and France you can take what you 'kill'. An adult example goes up to 1500/2000 € on meat and trophy (head), obviously depends on the quality, if its driven to pieces its worth less. It can help to cover the costs.

Glad youre ok, seen much worse in Germany.

bad times, lucky boy as well, deer crashes can be nasty

its a constant hazard where I work as we have deer on site, had a couple of low speed collisions, one in Williams and one in the 172 but both less than 30mph so all fine.