where's reverse gone?

whilst removing my sub-frame for powder coating i undid the clevis bar from the gear selector.

when refitting the the gear linkage to the selector i fitted one of the metal bushes i got from Yanoo, and when on a test run only to find i've got all 5 forward gears but no reverse now?

when i try to select reverse it it jumps back across in first?
    the only thing that may have moved whilst taking it on and off is that the gear selector twists either clockwise/anti-clockwise but surely this doesn't adjust the linkage by doing so?

i disconnected it all again and went through all the gears with the selector by hand and it selects ok. i also put it in reverse and got a friend to hold the gear stick in where reverse should be, noticing the clevis bar sits back about an inch from the selector.

to adjust do i need to just lengthen the linkage to rear the selector when its seated in reverse?

What did me and wobba say to you before about marking the clevis bar?? :P

Anyway, start from neutral, fit the bar and adjust by rotating the selector rod marginally left or right. And yes sometimes it does effect how far you push the bar into the selector. Should be able to make out default position.

Quote Originally Posted by fab
    What did me and wobba say to you before about marking the clevis bar?? :P

Anyway, start from neutral, fit the bar and adjust by rotating the selector rod marginally left or right. And yes sometimes it does effect how far you push the bar into the selector. Should be able to make out default position.
    I know! Sorry got a little adventurous!

gonna have to try solve it this weekend weather permitting otherwise you might have to help us park up at FCS!

Put the front of the car on axle stands so you can actually run the engine and try for reverse and adjust it bit by bit.

If you have a short shift gear stick, try reducing the amount of threaded section.

With the bar clamp loose, let it hang naturally, then push the bar SLIGHTLY (half inch maybe?) toward the nearside and tighten the bar up. Try it then.

If 1st gear is going in fine and not catching at all then your close. It's trial and error.

I have mine pretty much perfect now, it does still pop out of reverse a couple of times a week but its waaaay better than before.