Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cambelt Advice

Cambelt Advice

Trying to get my Williams booked in for a Cambelt change, and sure I read somewhere it was worth doing the water pump at the same time.

However speaking to the guys at Birchdown there's a bit of uncertainty about doing the water pump, doubles the time and isn't worth doing as its the same as a 172 which are robust??

Can anyone shed any light onto what is worth doing whilst doing the cambelt and an idea of the prices I should be paying.

Thanks in adavnce

:D

If it's never been done then get it done.

Only other thing that's not a bitch to do and is worth doing at the same time is the alternator belt.

Water pump is a good idea though, but will add considerable time to the job.

Cambelt Advice

What about the pulleys, and should I bite the bullet and have anything else done preventative maintenance wise done at the same time?

Yea, theres a couple of pulleys, which will come with the cambelt if you buy the kit. One pulley is a bitch to reach, the tensioner is easy.

Forum User
    just doin mine at the mo, was told you can do it with out takin out engine but its hard to do, i changed water pump, cam belt, pullys and tensioners. I ended up takin out the engine as its easier in the end plus put a new chuch in. bet a garage could do the work but i bet it will be expensive. hopefully should have engine back in for fcs.

Forum User
    listen to the guys at Birchdown, they are correct. It's the exact same pump as an F4R and they're a very very rare failure. I've only had to change 3 ever due to an issue, and thats from over 300 cambelt changes

How much would it be to get all this work done as I was looking into gettin all this done. Parts and labour.

Quote Originally Posted by acerimmer
    just doin mine at the mo, was told you can do it with out takin out engine but its hard to do, i changed water pump, cam belt, pullys and tensioners. I ended up takin out the engine as its easier in the end plus put a new chuch in. bet a garage could do the work but i bet it will be expensive. hopefully should have engine back in for fcs.
    If you need a hand with anything then let me know if it helps you get to FCS

The water pump is worth doing as mentioned if it's never been done, although I think next time I change mine i'll go for a genuine part.

I fitted a pattern part and after less than two years theres a lot of movement in the pulley already. Not sure if they're supposed to be like that.

The water pump can be reached in about 10-15 minutes once the radiator is out the way, but it takes a little while to remove the old gasket if it's solidified itself and stuck to the block!

Let me know how much they charge you for all this mate, mine's going into Birchdown for a cambelt change when it's back on the road in July...