Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Most certainly Wobba.
    A piece on how to boost (and I should say tame) the necessary "one point twenty-one jiggawatts" would be most desireable :D

One thing i thought I should mention when buying a Williams is always check the serial number plate on the engine block. I have heard of some with the 1.8 16v engine in them simply because it was the cheaper road to go when somthing happened the Williams engine.when a 1.8 engine has the Williams manifold on it and the blue spot taken off the dipstick it looks identical to the Williams engine.the Williams engine plate will read F7R A 700 and the 1.8 16v will read F7P.the plate can be seen if the airbox is removed is it located at the inlet manifold side at the bottom of the block at the flywheel end.It's the only way of telling if it's the genuine Williams engine.

Not really. Plates can be changed. Only real way to check if it's F7P or F7R is by checking what is casted on the block (if there is F7R written on it). Other way is to measure the stroke through one of the spark plug holes. F7R will have 93mm stroke (F7P 83mm).

Just saying as that happen to me 2 years ago.I went to see a Williams 2 that needed a gearbox,I was for buying the car until I checked the engine plate and there it was F7P.would it not be hard to change the plate without it looking like someone changed it?

Nah, it's only riveted on.

Just wanted to throw something together whilst this stuff is relatively still fresh in my head.

Williams Strut/Damper
    If you absolutely want to maintain the factory release set height, and keep the standard feeling, then you have no other alternative but to use OE supplied shocks and springs. They will not be the dampers originally fitted to the car as DeCarbon as a manufacturer are long gone. I do not believe the original dampers are serviceable.
    Renault use Kayaba as a supplier today for the front struts and similar for the rear damper. As to whether they choose to switch supplier in the future remains to be seen. So for the standard look and feel that is what you have to contend with.
    Don't want to start giving opinions on these but if you begin to upgrade any other suspension components,including the tyres, these dampers will begin to show their weakness.

Williams Aftermarket Strut
    Notice the way the heading says 'Williams' strut/damper and not 1.8 16V? This is where some confusion occurs to newcomers as many sellers advertise their products as Williams/16V fitment. As a direct replacement they are not compatible.ViaRouge are a typical example of this.
    The Williams has wider track than a valver therefore if you purchase 16V struts you will need camber correcting/adjusting bolts to re-align the suspension back to factory default. The rear dampers are a direct fit for both models, however rates may be different.

Bilstein and AVO are the only mainstream suspension manufacturer's that I know of who produce an aftermarket front shock/strut which are a direct fit. AVO's is a 'shortened damper' therefore the standard coil may not suit.
    The bilstein B6 comes in a performance and a sport version. The part number for the sport version is VE3-4183/ 600VE34183 and will work with the standard spring. Expect a 15mm drop using the standard spring. With an Eibach pro-kit,-25mm.

Bilstein also do a B4 strut for the 1.8 16V, a B8 sprint version and coilovers for both models.
    The B4 strut would be regarded as a direct replacement for the standard OE supplied one on the valver.I do not know if it lowers or raises the car height, but chances are it would be minimal either way.The B8 sprint is a shortened damper that both would require that you use camber bolts.

Coils/Springs
    A suspension coil spring is designed to set the ride height of the car and absorb the bumps on the road. The damper's main job is to stop the spring from oscillating.
    So can I use the standard coil with any after market damper and that would maintain my ride height I here you say? Well the answer to this kind of contradicts my statement on what the purpose of the suspension spring on a car is.
    Yes you can use the original spring but the car will be lowered more than standard,even if by a few millimetres, because when you screw on the top suspension mount nut onto the strut rod it will compress the coil just that bit more. With a shortened strut you will require a matching rate spring no matter what the marketing buffs tell you.

The original springs are color coded with 2 white paint marks. It is a linear spring in design. A standard 172 has the same spring, marked white/white.
    The springs from the Mark 2 clio’s can also be used,such as a 182. Cup springs are generally regarded to be a tad firmer and very likely will alter the car height.
    Aftermarket springs are ten a penny. Some are progressive rate or dual rate in design, whereby they are soft enough for the initial few millimeters of movement and then the rate increases as the coil is compressed more. Cannot offer any feedback on these but most people who come onto the forum come crying looking for standard springs to replace the one's in cars which have been lowered by the use of these coils. If you don't match the damper to the coil your clutching at straws and highly likely going to get a bad ride. Renault don't publish their spring rates like the Japanese car manufacturer's do.
    In general the standard spring works well with a mild performance damper but the standard damper does not work well with a lowered or harder spring.
    So that's about all I know about coils springs for the Williams at this point.WTF? No mention of those ghastly expensive things they call coilovers!Sure, they can be used on the road, and they can be adjusted up and down,left,right,soft,hard whatever, but they were/are designed for motorsport use. Unless you know your corner weights or have a suspension guru in your pocket you are unlikely to experience the full benefits of these for the price you will pay for them. On top of that they would require regular servicing.
    It is a very complex area and one which draws many discussions but if you are generally happy with the feeling,the other suspension components are being compliant and if it inspires confidence in your driving then you should be going in the right direction with your suspension setup.

Kayaba and Bilstein B6
    Bilstein_OE.jpg

Original Decarbon Rear Damper
    Original Decarbon.jpg

OE supplied and ViaRouge
    Kayaba_ViaRouge.jpg

Delphi Decarbon Performance
    Delphi_decarbon.JPG

Original Suspension Springs
    Standard_Coil_springs.jpg

Forum User
    wow it has put me off buying one reading all this as i do not know much about them .

Can someone write a few words about how to take out the dashboard? is it too much of a hassle? cheers!

Banned
    Sure, you can.