Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Banned

Stupid For Sale prices!

I had typed this out to post in to a For Sale thread for a Clio Williams at £6k asking price, but thought best not to ruin some poor sods thread.

I think I'm going to be on my own with this.... but here I go... this is what I wanted to say:-

----------

I don't want to be seen as joining any sort of flaming here, but I've seen a few Clio Williams cars for sale and the price is just ridiculous frankly. Sorry OP!

People wanting £3k+ for a car that is over 15 years old!

OK, it's a classic in some respects and a limited edition, which I can take in to consideration, but seriously, some people would think they are the bees knees! :P

Take a look at what, for this sale, £6k can get you on Piston Heads... a lot of far superior, faster and less troublesome cars for the money.

For perspective, I sold a 280bhp Supercharged 56 plate Fiesta ST, immaculate condition, just over 21k miles on the clock and it sold for not much more than you are asking.

Like I say, not a dig at any one particular person and sorry to have to vent in your for sale thread but I think some perspective is needed sometimes.

----------

So, really, do people think that some prices are just stupidly high? Or do people think it's fair?

Hope I ain't just opened a big can of worms here!

lol, you are right in some respects. They handle alot better than the modern hatches though and you get a better driving experience IMO.

On another note, mine is up for sale at £1650!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MatrixGuy
    lol, you are right in some respects. They handle alot better than the modern hatches though and you get a better driving experience IMO.

On another note, mine is up for sale at £1650!!
    Lol this is not a thread for plugging cars for sale. How very dare you! :P

I have seen your Williams thread mate, and Ben's. Give me until June and I should have money ready to buy a nice Williams for myself... but I digress.

The worms you can keep for your fishing :P

This subject comes up time and time again.
    The "market value" is written in the dealers handbooklet. Do you need to know the value?? GO ASK A DEALER! It is not classed as a classic car yet (as far as I know) therefore the market asking price is final.

As for people selling their cars, they are perfectly entitled to ask for whatever they feel they want/need for it. If they get their asking price so be it.
    Are you going to begrudge them? No, because its none of your business!

Are you entitled to raise a topic on the matter? Absofookinloutley.

As far as my own view on value, There isnt. You can come here with a million quid in your pocket and you still wont get a look in. Why?
    Because you cant buy LOVE :P

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fab
    Because you cant buy LOVE :P
    Can't really argue with that can I. :D

For me though, I feel that prices asking for more than £3k are crazy. I understand what you are saying, about people asking whatever they like, still doesn't mean that they are always right though.

It's those damn rose tinted Williams goggles.

When does a car get classed as "classic" just out of interest?

I'm just bitter as I don't own one.... yet! And people selling them so expensively for their age is annoying me. lol.

Its a tough one mate buying a used car especially a performance hatch. So many things can and do go wrong with them, especially on these old ladies
    Then genuine reno parts aint the cheapest either.

I agree, you will get chancer's putting them up for sale at ridiculous prices but you are well informed to know better, thats why you are here and it is what you have to remember when you decide to buy

Hopefully the others can answer your question on classic status.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fab
    Its a tough one mate buying a used car especially a performance hatch. So many things can and do go wrong with them, especially on these old ladies
    Then genuine reno parts aint the cheapest either.

I agree, you will get chancer's putting them up for sale at ridiculous prices but you are well informed to know better, thats why you are here and it is what you have to remember when you decide to buy

Hopefully the others can answer your question on classic status.
    ...old ladies. Bless 'em! lol :D

Thanks for your thoughts and comments.

shite yeah that sounded a bit pervish

Forum User
    i think the price is all down to us the enthusiast and availability, maybe in a few more years when the numbers come right down and dudes on here have more cash there may be higher prices, ultimately though the williams has been superceded by the 197 which in my opinion is a far better car from all angles, same as the clio replaced the 5, personally i think a perfect w1 with mega low miles and exceptional history and totally original would be worth money,anything else is what the buyer will pay. Thats my 5 pence worth

thats a fair point Walters.

Ultimately the way I see it, when you part with your cash for any car, new or old thats it, the money is spent and the value is in what you do with the car.

When I look at mine I dont see dollar signs. Its the memories that are worth so much more to me. I'm sure some others feel the same.

And I had/drove supposedly far superior cars in my lifetime so far but none of them have come close to the feeling/emotion I get driving this car. But thats just my own view at this time in my life.