Thread: Emerald

Emerald

Emerald not only make their own brand of aftermarket ECU for cars like ours (some hate them lol), but they have Dave Walker who does all their mapping.

What can I say? Not only did we achieve higher than expected results, their service was faultless, taking care of my car and repairing a few niggles AND rewiring and uprating the firmware on the ECU for me.

We also had some fun at the end of the session with some secret testing, though I have been asked not to talk about it for the time being. Let's just say my car was borrowed for a time to conduct some 'tests' lol :D

Great service. Excellent value for money. My car is transformed. never misses a beat.

Dave and his team also diagnosed a misfire and solved it for me as part of the deal.

Can't recommend them enough. It's great to get a tuner that totally knows what they are doing, lets you have loads of fun, ask loads of questions, and provides an excellent service.

Forum User
    Dave is great, one of the best tuners out there for sure.

I hate the product itself though, its so cumbersome to use compared to most modern ecu's, far too many key presses per change.

They really do need someone with at least a basic background in UI design to get involved with that product at some point, literally a few days work from the right person could see it massively improved.

Quote Originally Posted by chip
    Dave is great, one of the best tuners out there for sure.

I hate the product itself though, its so cumbersome to use compared to most modern ecu's, far too many key presses per change.

They really do need someone with at least a basic background in UI design to get involved with that product at some point, literally a few days work from the right person could see it massively improved.
    They showed me some new stuff they have for an improved GUI. Apparently it keeps being about 99% ready to be signed off but the developer keeps changing his mind!

Forum User
    Judging by the current offering the last time he made his mind up was in about 1986 and he wasnt very up to date then!

Its ****ing shocking!

Glad to hear it is going to progress (eventually) though as the core product is actually quite good (ie once its mapped it works ok)

Secret testing

Quote Originally Posted by 16v_paddy
    Secret testing
    It was COOOL!

I know

Forum User
    Well lets hope that its also actually usable in the car for the first time ever, I map on a very wide variety of ECU's and nothing else comes even slightly close to being as shite as the emerald offering!
    Even about ten years ago when I first mapped on it, it was already out of date!
    Whoever wrote it the first time around should be taken outside and shot so fingers crossed its not the same muppet again this time!

Wonder if the K6 software is any better? My mates got one on his 106 turbo, looks interesting.