Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Forum User
    Well if you are sticking with the standard management then get friendly with kj16v, as not many other people can be bothered to piss around with the antique management on these cars, so even though from what I gather he hasnt been mapping very long yet he is alredy a really useful resource for people who stick with it just cause he is bothering with it when most tuners would throw it away and fit something decent instead, and ive only heard good reports of his work so far.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chip
    Well if you are sticking with the standard management then get friendly with kj16v, as not many other people can be bothered to piss around with the antique management on these cars, so even though from what I gather he hasnt been mapping very long yet he is alredy a really useful resource for people who stick with it just cause he is bothering with it when most tuners would throw it away and fit something decent instead, and ive only heard good reports of his work so far.
    OK thanks again. I was also recommended to a chap called Paul at RSTuning in Leeds by Craig from AP-Developments.

Forum User
    RS Tuning is an established company with plenty of overheads and hence have to charge accordingly, the cost of getting your car mapped by them would be encouraging me towards aftermarket if I were you TBH.

NOTHING wrong with what they do IME, Paul is a good tuner, but having a 400 pound map on a 20 quid ECU seems a bit pointless to me.
    (not exact price, but along those lines)

Banned
    RS Tuning is an established company with plenty of overheads and hence have to charge accordingly, the cost of getting your car mapped by them would be encouraging me towards aftermarket if I were you TBH.

NOTHING wrong with what they do IME, Paul is a good tuner, but having a 400 pound map on a 20 quid ECU seems a bit pointless to me.
    (not exact price, but along those lines)
    What advantages would I see from going with an aftermarket solution? What product would you recommend?

Cheers. :D

Forum User
    Main advantages:

TPS verus RPM for main load tables means that you can run agressive cams without the ECU misunderstanding what is going on (the pulses coming back through the standard inlet make it impossible to map properly around)

Not tied down to just a handful of people who can be bothered to map it, if you go aftermarket you have your choice of tuners

Can easily change to multi throttle inlet

Additional features that might be useful like launch control or traction control potentially (less of an issue on a low powered N/A build)

In terms of actual power output at full throttle, no real advantage though, the mapping requirements of an N/A engine on full song are pretty simple.

What would I recomend?
    Whatever someone near you that you trust to map your car recomends really, any modern aftermarket setup will do it realistically.

In terms of being easy fitment, sideways danny does the canems ecu which understands 44-2-2, as does megasquirt and mtec v4.
    If you swap to a 172/megane flywheel though you then arent restricted to ones that understand the renix 44-2-2 setup, plus you can go wasted spark then too.

Banned
    Main advantages:

TPS verus RPM for main load tables means that you can run agressive cams without the ECU misunderstanding what is going on (the pulses coming back through the standard inlet make it impossible to map properly around)

Not tied down to just a handful of people who can be bothered to map it, if you go aftermarket you have your choice of tuners

Can easily change to multi throttle inlet

Additional features that might be useful like launch control or traction control potentially (less of an issue on a low powered N/A build)

In terms of actual power output at full throttle, no real advantage though, the mapping requirements of an N/A engine on full song are pretty simple.

What would I recomend?
    Whatever someone near you that you trust to map your car recomends really, any modern aftermarket setup will do it realistically.

In terms of being easy fitment, sideways danny does the canems ecu which understands 44-2-2, as does megasquirt and mtec v4.
    If you swap to a 172/megane flywheel though you then arent restricted to ones that understand the renix 44-2-2 setup, plus you can go wasted spark then too.
    You've said a whole load of stuff there that I don't understand! However, I will take a look at Canems ECU, Megasquirt and Mtec v4 and I'll also speak with RSTuning and see what they say. :D

Cheers!

Forum User
    Sorry mate, which bits dont you understand, I will elaborate.

To cover the main points though.

MAP or TPS
    MAP = Manifold absolute pressure
    TPS = Throttle position sensor

Basically the ECU can see how hard the engine is working one of two ways (well 3 really as some cars have airflow meters but ours dont) one is to look at the pressure drop in the inlet, the other is to look at how far the throttle is open.
    For performance N/A applications (particuarly ITB ones) you are better off with the TPS, its more accurate, especially at part throttle on big cams where you can get weird wave effects going on in the inlet manifold from the fact that the engine is breathing back out into the inlet manifold towards the middle of the compression stroke.

Renix 44-2-2
    The standard flywheel crank sensor has a 44 teeth pattern with 2 misisng at the top and 2 missing at the bottom, this allows the ecu to see the engine is turning, and what speed its turning at and how far through the stroke it is etc, but it doesnt allow it to see which cylinders are the ones about to reach the top, ie it knows that 2 cylinders are at the top but not if they are 1 and 4 or 2 and 3, which means you cant run a wasted spark (coilpack) ignition setup on it.

@chip nice explenation there mate

Banned
    Hi all

Just to say, RS Tuning have been back in touch and do not recommend Megasquirt. They have advised this:-

http://www.tour-de-force.co.uk/ec/

They can do this with a loom, and all the mapping. Happy days! :D

Quote Originally Posted by Imperial_16v
    Hi all

Just to say, RS Tuning have been back in touch and do not recommend Megasquirt. They have advised this:-

http://www.tour-de-force.co.uk/ec/

They can do this with a loom, and all the mapping. Happy days! :D
    Lol no surprises there!