Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Track days

Forum User
    nearly new*

fecking edit button cunt bollocks wank toss

rock the rtoc national day, good cheap intro to track days and meet a lot of like minded folks

Make sure your car is in top mechanical order. A track day puts stresses and strains on the car that you couldn't imagine approaching on the road. There is nothing worse than paying an entry fee and finding out that your car has given up the ghost just a few laps in - they don't refund any of the entry fee and getting home after waiting hours for a low loader to arrive is no laugh either, and generally the track is a long way from home and takes ages to get back home at 50 mph on a lorry. I have done it enough times!

Get some decent pads for the front brakes, as these are usually one of the first things you find lacking when on track, and either check that there is plenty of meat on them or take a spare set with you and be prepared to change them at the track. Take a good set of tools too so minor issues can be sorted without ruining your day, although with luck you will be able to borrow something off someone else if you are stuck it is generally a fairly friendly bunch of people attendng. Buy the best lid you can afford. Keep an eye on your mirrors so you don't get in the way of other cars at the track, who will undoubtedly be quicker than you if it is your first time out.

As suggested above, having a spare set of wheels with tyres that are below the legal limit for road use is a good way to reduce costs as these can be picked up cheaply and worn down to almost nothing on the track, whereas a set of new road tyres will wear down to the legal limit quite quickly and need replacing if you want to drive to and from the track on them. Junk any extra weight you can by taking out anything you don't need or is easily removable - parcel shelf, rear seats, spare wheel, etc. as the weight of the car has a direct impact on the rate at which you will wear things out.

In terms of costs, depending what car you run, and including wear on the components that need replacing over a few track days, petrol to and from the venue, etc. I reckon a track day ends up costing between £250 and £1000 a time.

^^^ some good advice there mate.

also try changing the brake fluid too, brakes get hot, fluid boils, brakes fade then stop working.....not what you want coming into a tight bend at 90mph....

could also try a renosport day, if you decide to go with a clio. usually cheaper than a normal trackday, free tuition, and you get to go out in some of the top end in renos current range of rs models.

is also worth getting a bit of tuition too when you get there.

Thanks for the advise guys. I was thinking of using a 16v er with a Williams engine in it. Hopefully gettin it this wkend. So any last advise you have got at all as it is about 4 hours away from me.

Forum User
    Providing its in good order, thats a perfect starting point for a trackday car really.

Worth widetracking (see how dkrevs has done it)

Got a feeling bedford is going to rape my wallet on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Laine_16v
    Got a feeling bedford is going to rape my wallet on Saturday.
    If I were you I'd be more concerned about being violated somewhere other than one wallet & that's on the night before