Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Track days

Track days

I was thinking of getting a car for trackday use but seen as never done one before just wanted to know the sort of thing would need to do for it and the cost of doing each day?
    Any info and help appreciated

Well a mk1 clio is a good start :P

All you need is a car in good mechanical condition as our clios are pretty capable track machines straight out the box.
    From what I've seen (not lots like as I'm relatively new to track days too) they cost from about £150 to about £250 and in some cases more than that but personally I wouldn't want to pay more than that.

A good tip would be to go to a track day & have a look around & speak to people doing it for yourself. If you're available, this saturday (19th) there will be a few members from here on track at Bedford Autodrome, come & have a chat & a passenger ride to see what all the fuss is about

Would love to come along but it's over a 3 hour journey for me and got a bit on this wkend

Forum User
    hello again, look out for some airfield trackdays there alot cheaper in some cases like 90 quid. good place to start and to be fair think i prefer them.

Oh nice one. Any places you'd recommend and any advise you could give?

Forum User
    Tyres are a big cost if you want to run anything decent, things like 888 are upto about 100 quid a corner now, and if you run normal road tyres and drive really hard so you are sliding the car about on them then generally they'll get ripped to shreds fairly quickly.

Airfield days are harsher on tyres than racetrack days.

Dont forget to budget for fuel to and from, and a tank of fuel or more at the trackday itself.

Total cost per trackday IME once you take everything into account (brake pads you get through fairly quickly etc) is around 400 quid

Don't be too alarmed by that £400 figure though as it doesn't neccessarily all have to be in 1 hit, with a bit of forward planning you can spread it out a bit

Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by 16v_paddy
    Don't be too alarmed by that £400 figure though as it doesn't neccessarily all have to be in 1 hit, with a bit of forward planning you can spread it out a bit
    I dont think its ever in one hit really, as you nearly always pay for the trackday in advance, and then the fuel on the day, and then replace the tyres you wrecked at a later date

I tend to have a budget of around 500 a month for trackdays and trackday related stuff, and it sort of averages out over the year.

Worth always keeping an eye out for secondhand tyres and buy them when they are cheap rather than when you need them, that can give big savings in the long run.

Depends how many trackdays you do though what approach you take, I'll ALWAYS buy tyres that are good value, even though ive got about 40 trackday suitable tyres (some wet, some dry etc) knocking around at the moment in various stages of wear, which would be a ludicrous amount to build up for someone who only does a couple of trackdays a year, but i typically do about 12-15 of them a year so 10 sets of tyres isnt actually that many as some of those will only have 1 trackday left in them and some are wet ones etc and Ive got a couple of different sizes as some are for different cars etc.

Used R888's is how I roll sod paying for them things new

Forum User
    Best bargain Ive had tyre wise recently was a load of nearly Michelin Pilot Sport cups for 35 quid a corner

Managed to get 16 of them into my Corsa as it was the only vehicle I had handy to collect them with, lol