Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Yeah, was a great day and nice to meet some new faces as well as the old ones! Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaniemoo
    Quote Originally Posted by jock
    Great day out at Donny was had by all I reckon. Nice to see Northy and Mat hope Karen enjoyed her birthday and thanks for chocky cake! Respect to Fab for silly oclock ferry trip and nice to hear history of his well travelled williams. Nice to meet Coops and hope the water stayed in the engine at least till you got home! Many thanks to Foxy for several eventful laps, riding shotgun, watched you leave the tvr for dead on exit of redgate and then lol as you were watching the caterham then nearly went off on the exit! Was that lil moo we saw about a kilometre off on the grass at starkeys ? Work was very dull at 6. Cheers all, Jock.

Hehe it was indeed moo diving off onto the grass but only to get out the way of traffic when his high comp bodied vts engine threw a rod and holed his block!!!

There's an awesome video of it going bang called "peugeot 106 rallye trackday blow up" I can't link it from my phone so if someone could link or even better embed it that'd be great.
    What would cause it to throw a rod?

Forum User
    We've not got the engine out and stripped yet but after a bit of a peer in through the hole in the block it looks like the rod bolts have failed as the rod doesn't appear to be on the crank shaft anymore!!

hehe your way over my head with the technical stuff there..best i could manage was show Stevie where not to leave a j cloth. still pissin on myself laughing when i came in after a lap to discover it was wedged between the alloy and the brake disk smoking like a mofo

Forum User
    sorry i couldn't make it, unfortunately i ****ed my knee up and can't drive at the moment, was on route with our lass but the car also broke down!!

hopefully was a decent day for you all.

I had an enjoyable day as well, been to donny loads of times but never actually on the track and the 1st time I saw craner curves from the front of a car going at high speed I about shit myself Quite simply an awesome track & I'm gagging to drive it now.

Also unexpectedly managed to get my car on the track so I'm hoping there's some photos/videos of that somewhere [-o<

A real shame for Moo. Have been there myself and it was not pleasant. Coincidentally it was in a Peugeot too!

Quote Originally Posted by MatBrown
    What would cause it to throw a rod?
    Beanie, is Moo running a baffled sump in it? I ran a 405 Mi16 in sprints and hillclimbs some years ago and put a rod through the block a few times. It always seemed to be on left-hand bends under high lateral loading (from Moo's video it doesn't really seem to be the case there, as he is only just about to turn into the corner) - once was at Chobham test track where we did the rolling road day, at the end of a banked section there. The oil pickup on the XU9J engines (I think that was the code - the aluminium 2.0 16v lumps anyway) was right down at one end and so under cornering the theory was that the oil could surge to the other end and the pickup would get little or no oil and it was that starvation which then caused it to throw the rod. I was advised to run it with oil on the max level on the dipstick at all times as a result! There was also something about the design of the oil pump drive itself that an expert on the engines said was a weakness - such that it could perhaps not turn the pump sometimes, but I forget the details now - they weren't chain driven I don't think. I've no idea whether the lump in Moo's car is a similar design, but it might be worth thinking about when rebuilding it, if that's any help?

Long shot that they are any use to you but I still have a few pistons lying around (as well as the mangled one in a display case ) from my last engine to go bang so if research suggests that they might fit and you need one to make up a set give me a shout as you are welcome to have them/it.

Forum User

Jacket found

Great day, sounds like everyone had a great time to. Glad the weather held out, we did manage to pick up someones jacket which was left in Northy's garage. Its a next jacket in a grey colour, just incase anyone has lost theres, we have it

Forum User
    Just like to add my thanks to Northy for organising this and giving me the incentive to get my car out there!

First time around Donny and absolutely loved it. I expected the straights to be longer and not suit the car, but actually the circuit flowed well with a great mix of corners. Craner curves were superb flat out!

Thanks to Northy for the hot laps, which came to an abrupt halt when the Renault 11 (?) went sideways across the front of us through Craner Curves! Cant wait to see the video of that one !