Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Forum User

My mid engined gt35r powered vauxhall nova

Something a bit different that might interest a couple of you

Not sure on a power figure as Ive only recently fitted the Saab engine, it was running on a monster spec vauxhall engine before that but I cracked the block when running 2.1 bar of boost (at about 550bhp ish) and decided that I wanted a cheaper source of power instead (was arrow crank / rods / solids etc before)
    Hoping for about what I used to have on lowboost, which was 457bhp from the new engine but from a couple of hundred quid engine rather than many thousands of pounds for the old build.

Its running on saab managment which I can remap myself, and its a GT35R turbo, but the engine itself is just a standard Saab 2.0 turbo

Gearbox is a VX220 F23 but fitted with a quaiffe ATB type LSD

Does it have wings? Because this must fly!!

Forum User
    Lol, no mate no wings.

Its fairly quick though, certainly makes my F7R clio feel like a milk float by comparison, lol

That said though, down a country lane I reckon the clio would take it, as the handling is a lot better and the number of opportunities to really use that much power in the real world are pretty limited on anything other than big straights!

So it kind of falls in the "fun but pointless" category, lol

Bonkers power is never pointless

Forum User
    Big respect for getting it all in there and working mate must be great fun

Forum User
    TBH getting the engine in wasnt very hard, I just welded up some mounts out of tubular steel etc

But getting the thing to handle is what is proving to be a lot harder!

Its off the road at the moment due to a failed clutch slave cylinder, and Ive got my blue clio and my throttle bodied 2.0 corsa to do some work on first, then its the nova's turn hopefully in time to go and run an 11 at the performance vauxhall show in june (its an event at santa pod sponsored by one of the car mags I write for) then I can get on with the project that really interests me which is my yellow clio.

Too many projects and not enough time as is always the story sadly, lol

Yeah, I know what you talk about. I also have several cars, and it's hard to make progress on all of them. Focus is important. One at the time and then it's all good.

Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by robi1000
    Yeah, I know what you talk about. I also have several cars, and it's hard to make progress on all of them. Focus is important. One at the time and then it's all good.
    Yeah thats what Im doing at the moment, I tend to always have at least one trackday car and ideally two (my mrs does a lot of trackdays too) that are ready to go without needing anything doing to it, and I wont do anything major to it until there is another ready to replace it etc

So a couple of weeks ago my clio was "ready" and I did an engine rebuild on the corsa, now that the corsa is run in and ive finished mapping it etc and done a trackday in it and know its ok to carry on using for a whle, it means I can pull the clio apart and know I still have a trackday car to use even if it doesnt go to plan, then I'll turn back to the corsa and do the cage and hotter cams etc that I have planned.

Hopefully then that will be both of those sorted and I can get on with the nova and then once thats done do the yellow clio, then its a quick rebuild on my cossie engine which is long overdue as on the over run it smokes like a french kid on lunch break, and by then it'll no doubt be time for the corsa and clio again as they'll be getting worn again, its a never ending cycle, lol

lol that must be a mental and scary beast to drive
    good work :D

Forum User
    Just the man I need to speak to then, I've a mk2 jetta gti running the saab 2.3 turbo. T28 hybrid, few other bits. Currently running 300 brake at 1bar boost. What's needed to get me upto 400 bhp area? Will post up pics later