Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Budget performance specs?

I'm going to be building a spare shell i've got hold of up for a track car on a tight budget.

I'm looking at what budgets i want to do it on, and as the shell is pretty much prepped already, i reckon to try for a max of a grand for the performance tuning.

anyone got any recommended specs for £1000 or less?
    Should i stick with f7r and JC5 box, or different set up?

thanks

Forum User

Re: Budget performance specs?

Quote Originally Posted by scratabout1988
    I'm going to be building a spare shell i've got hold of up for a track car on a tight budget.

I'm looking at what budgets i want to do it on, and as the shell is pretty much prepped already, i reckon to try for a max of a grand for the performance tuning.

thanks
    F7R and a set of cams with a remap isnt a bad place to be for budget reasonable performance, not really any other renault engines that work better for the money.

Forum User
    Actually I take that back, the F4R is probably best value per pound, just a bit more hassle to fit.

Re: Budget performance specs?

Quote Originally Posted by chip
    Quote Originally Posted by scratabout1988

thanks
    F7R and a set of cams with a remap isnt a bad place to be for budget reasonable performance, not really any other renault engines that work better for the money.
    yeh that's what i was expecting to be honest,
    cams will be something i'll have to look into as i will be looking for power in the lower revs for better acceleration.

do you know anything about boxes? stick with the JC5 014 as ive been told they don't cope well with power upgrades!

For track-work on a budget with a car like this, better stopping power with less fade is a must really. Just replacing worn suspension parts makes a nice difference too, or poly-stuff for tighter control. Welded steering column is a nice addition too.

More power? Loads of exhausts out there pretty cheap, but keep your CAT if you want to retain that low down torque. Keep the OE airbox, maybe an ITG filter. There are occasionally cheap used cams up for grabs if you are quick.

You can also pick up a Ktec or Supersprint manifold for a bit more oomph.

Finally, a remap off Kj16V may top off your engine mods.

You wont set any track records, but it will be fun. Moving away from OE spec suspension can dramatically reduce the fun factor unless it has been well set up. Three wheeling also looks awesome ;)

Forum User
    Box wise you really arent spoilt for choice, JB5 are better than the JC3 valver box but not by a massive amount TBH, they dont have the circlip problem but they are still weak.

Ive found a 172 box is lasting up quite well, its done as many trackdays so far as about my last 3 or 4 JC3 together did so far (about 10) not sure its actually any stronger, i think its just cause they are newer.

Biggest problem with the clio for trackday use is the expense of a bloody diff, its horrific compared to a lot of the other cars I have tracked and when you are then fitting it in a fragile box that might kill it, its even worse!

If you can be bothered with a lot of hassle, a b18c4 honda engine is 169bhp, revs to 8500rpm standard no problem, is lighter, has an indestructable box and comes with an LSD as standard, lol

Forum User
    Lol @ the 3 wheel comment, mine used to be really bad for that before I sorted the suspension:

thanks for the tips guys,
    will do a little research and see what i can find,

lol, nice pic chip!

Forum User
    I had him at the start of the straight as I came out of that bend about 15mph quicker than him, Ive found with so little power you need to really time it well on the exits to get by the faster cars!

Thraxair at Anglesey was on OE suspension. Was a laugh a second as its so much easier to predict breakaway and manage the rear end and get the inside rear wheel airborne!

By comparison, my car with higher grip levels, coilovers, mechanical differential and various other bits stuck on was, though arguably faster, less fun.