Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: My Car

My Car

As some of you know, I am sorting some fairly large stuff out with the car (again), which will solve the missing power issue with 0217 since having quite a lot of stuff done to it last year.

The car is currently over with Dan at 519 Automotive.

I will be replacing the Megane engine with an Hillpower rebuilt F7R700 (Willy engine) but probably using a Hillpower Megane 714 cylinder head ported etc. instead of my APD cylinder head, not 100% sure yet. The 225 Catcams will be replaced with some 213 Catcams to take advantage of the fact the engine is a 12.5:1 high compression block with all forged internals:

Engine in the back of teh T5 on it's way hoem :D

It's all in bits now, and I don't need the modified inlet as I have ITB's. There's a few things to do, such as the gearbox needs a new output shaft seal I think and the clutch release bearing has rattled ever since I got it back last year (annoying as Summeh and I had sorted this the last time we had the engine out!)

Quite a few people have had a peep at the Hillpower head and have remarked on how nice it has been done. My main concern was having to port it further to match the Chadil ITB manifold, but the size difference is tiny and could in theory assist with mixing the fuel with air before entering the combustion chamber, so hopefully it will be fine.

The manifold is undergoing some work as there was for some unknown reason a crack on a little part of it. So that's being welded, and I have also requested they machine a second hole in intake number 3 so I can put a 2nd vacuum feed for the brakes, as there is only one currently. To put all the vacuum demands through a single source can cause an imbalance, so I will be spreading the load and hopefully improving the braking for the car too!

As the engine is forged, I can get away with higher revs, and the cams I have will probably have power higher up the range anyway, so I think an 8k RPM limit will be set, maybe higher depending on results at the mapping session, not sure yet. As such I will be using a Jenvey fuel rail in the bodies, not the head as it was before. I was thinking of eight Megane injectors, but I have changed my mind (more stuff to go wrong!). I am going to use Saab 346cc red injectors as I don't think the Megane ones will cope very well, assuming nicely over 200 bhp here. I'm going to use some fancy fuel regulator as well. I may keep the one on the new engine though as it is an unusual item:

Car will also be having some minor welding to sort a bit of corrosion on one sill, will all be replaced soon enough after it goes to the bodyshop anyway.

On top of all this I will be reuniting my car with a lambda sensor. Currently, it does not have one.

Finally, I got really lucky on Friday. I predict the car will all be up and running with a base map by the end of February so I called Emerald to speak to Dave Walker about booking the car in there. A bit of a trek from home, down here in the sunny south, but I've heard many good things about Dave Walker and read his engine management book from front to back about three times and used it for reference loads in my own mapping sessions on my Emerald ECU, so am keen to see what he can do!

Now, the other two times I have rung there has been a five or six week backlog to sort a dyno and mapping session out. It was the same story this time :( BUT, as I was about to put the phone down, a lady there piped up saying there had been a cancellation five minutes earlier, and could I make the 3rd of March! 'YES I CAN!' I yelped excitedly. So, she booked me in, asking the type of car and spec...she laughed after I was still listing the spec after about a minute and said: 'so basically the full works then...'

Oh yes, the full works, sounds about right...watch this space...

Another chapter starts on the Wobba'mobile'...

Exciting times ahead. :D

Haha yes! Another episode, and hopefully the last of a mechanical nature!

Any pics of the APD head in caparison to the Hillpower one ?

YES! :D

This should be interesting...
    Keep the updates coming.

Forum User
    :P This should be the grand finalle now and I hope for your sanity you get 230bhp

Forum User
    Good work Wobdog!

Quote Originally Posted by Evogone
    Any pics of the APD head in caparison to the Hillpower one ?
    Dan says it looks fine, I've not seen inside the APD one yet.

Yes :D This will be fun I hope!

230 bhp is probably not going to happen though :p I'd expect about 210 ish for now till the engine gets a bit more run in. It only has 1k miles so far.

Did you get a refund off stan or is this more hard earned cash on the car? Got to admire your resilience.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie.
    Did you get a refund off stan or is this more hard earned cash on the car? Got to admire your resilience.
    I'd rather not have people dragging all that up again, thanks. Not because it bothers me, but I think there's been enough on-line mud-slinging. What's done is done.

As for the resilience...yea, lol...thing is, how can I give up now when the solution is just one step away, after so many steps I've already taken to get this far? This car has the potential to be an absolute animal, the pieces are all there. It is not a matter of resilience anymore, but common sense