Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Flywheels suitable for standalone ECU

I know that Williams fly isn't suitable because of tooth pattern.

Megane fly is ok because it has 60-2 tooth pattern.

Are there any other Renault models with suitable flywheel (172, Espace,...)

What standalone ECU will you use? Megasquirt can manage the Williams flywheel. And cheap. Or K-TEC sort out the Omex - flywheel compatibility issue (or at least they sell ITB kit with Omex and that is suitable with Williams f/w).

KMS MD25.

What is Williams fly pattern? 36-1?

No, it's not the conventional 36-1 Ford pattern, it's a French (silly) pattern: 44-2-2. Or in other words: 2 x 22-2

(20 teeth - 2 missing teeth - 20 teeth - 2 missing teeth)

This pattern was told by that guy who programmed Thomas turbo'd 16V. I guess you remember that car (approx 280 fly HP and 300 + Nm, E85, oem flywheel, uprated clutch etc).

Forum User
    For simplicity, use a megane or 172 flywheel (the same part)

I've had Canems write me some new software to run the standard trigger pattern which is 44-2-2

Not much use to you as you already have the KMS, but shows you what the standard williams trigger pattern is like

[/img]

Ok, so 172 fly is the same as Megane one. Any other cars that use similar fly and are not made by Renault Sport? (maybe some other car using less powerful F4R engine?)

can also just get a trigger wheel and bolt it to the crank pulley. mine was done that way, with the webers.

Good idea, but I think that used flywheel will be a cheaper option. And I can also fit a bigger clutch.

Quote Originally Posted by 2 live
    can also just get a trigger wheel and bolt it to the crank pulley. mine was done that way, with the webers.
    But the crank pulley is friction fit, and then the trigger wheel would be friction fit on top of it again, lineing it up correctly (which is cruicial to maitain desired ignition timing), would be a nightmare.

Also you would have to fabricate a very substaintial bracket for the sensor to sit on so it wouldnt vibrate at high revs, and even then its in a more prone to damage in the position it would be in (althought probably not much of an issue).

Its not ideal.