Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum User

Cat just gone any advice? Sports Cat? Best you can buy?

Hi All,

Not really how I wanted to start my posting career on the site but hey ho!!

I've just recently bought a Williams 1 in gorgeous condition ... BUT my Cats just gone.

I'm wanting to keep her happy any suggestions? I've researched a little but sure if I should pay extra and get a sports cat.

She has a stainless steel Magnex system exhaust so something in keeping is good for me.

I know original cats are hard to get hold of but any one got one knocking around happy to pay reasonable price.

Any help/advice be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance all for your help.

JW

i think somebody was selling one in the 'items for sale' section

How do you know the CAT has gone? failed on emissions?

Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by n9kie
    i think somebody was selling one in the 'items for sale' section

How do you know the CAT has gone? failed on emissions?
    I started her up the other day, the rattling sound was horrendous so down to the local garage she went where upon they told me the honeycomb had collapsed.

Quoted me £371.48, which seems on par with some previous posts on here ... just wanting to some advice on whether to go with a sports cat? or if someone knows a better make as I know I'll be struggling to get an original.

Thanks,

JW

First of all: Welcome to the WC forums and Willy ownership!

What sort of exhaust is on it at the moment? A lot of old OEM exhausts have gone on the inside from my experience and have a load of rust rattling about. You can shake them about for hours and rust still pours out!

For a sports decat, pretty sure Scorpion do one, but to get you started and have something to look at look here:

http://www.k-tecracing.com/search.asp?appid=1&catid=8

You could just go decat route and worry about it later and borrow a decat off someone here for MOT ;)

Forum User
    Thanks Wobba,

I'm loving Willy ownership!!

It's got a magnex stainless steel exhaust system on it full length connecting to the existing cat .... looks in good condition ... and did sound lovely.

I've just emailed Matt re his post cat for sale and looks like I might buy that off him for £60.00.

Best quote I've had so far is from MIJ Performance in Walsall for a sports Cat fitted for £250.00.

Kwik fit was £280.00 and Charlie Browns £260.00 both OEM replacements. Not really wanting to get from these guys as I've heard mixed reviews.

What does the decat route mean?? sorry about my ignorance is this because the car was built before 2001? Does it improve performance.

I'm fortunate the car passed it's MOT end of October so have nearly 11 months.

Thanks in Advance,

JW

Good to hear!

We need pictures now you realise? Club rules :p

A de-cat is simply a length of pipe that replaces the cat and removes entirely the slightly restrictive cat converter. It also encourages more pops and bangs and interesting noises ;)

Easy to fit, but will fail you on MOT.

Magnex is a good system for standard engined cars. I approve.

Welcome to the forum

Only use a decat as a last resort imo, try and get hold of a cheap cat if you can. In my experience you lose low down torque with a decat and it's very annoying, then you will have the hassle of trying to source a cat anyway come MOT time. A sports cat would be a nice alternative, but they are big £'s.

Mat Brown is always a good bloke to get parts from, or you could try these guys:

http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/...ic.php?t=41143

I have had a look and a cat isn't listed, but they may be able to get hold of one for you. Good luck!

[quote="Tommo"] In my experience you lose low down torque with a decat quote]

never heard of this before?? anyway why would you want low down torque? you feel the most acceleration from mid range torque which a decat would definitely increase

It's a well known problem, it's something to do with a reduction in back pressure, do a search on here, it's been discussed before.

It's just my preference mate, a Williams is all about low-end response imo, with a decat on it's more like a valver - you have to rev the crap out of it to get the performance. I may be in the monority on this though, plenty of people have decats and like them as you do gain more power at the top-end.

wow 250 for a sports cat, hmmm gets me wondering