Thread: High Comp stuff

High Comp stuff

Best cams for 12.5:1 block with ITB's and breathed on Meg head? Need to retain a reasonably broad torque range if possible...

Also...typical power gain for a 11.2:1 block over OE compression?

Any advantages or disadvantages to be considered?

What cams are you using?
    I think the gains are around 5-10%, however i think your relatively low power (were see saturday!) may be down to worn b/e (what else could it be, the rest is all new?) so i would expect if you went high come your b/e your be in the 200's.

225's at the moment which may not really be ideal for a high compression bottom end.

We will see on Saturdays RR. I will be scratching my head if it is lower than 180 still...

12.5 for comp only now worth it for a road car.

11.5 with your spec should add about 10hp, combination for inc cr plus fresh BE. I have only all built up ready to go...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Evogone

11.5 with your spec should add about 10hp, combination for inc cr plus fresh BE. I have only all built up ready to go...!!!
    Lol Evo, you been drinking or just get your words in a twist? Not sure if I am reading you right

You have a 12.5 ready to go?

Was told by craig its approx 3% increase in power per compression unit raised.

Forum User
    Higher the compression = higher engine braking, engine will run hotter, reduced ignition advance and over compressing an engine can be a disadvantage. Run 12.5:1 and the engine will probably become a bit flat below 3,000rpm as a result of lower levels of ignition

I guess risk of detonation is increased due to the compression and engine needs to be more finely tuned? With a tougher block you could however run it at theoretically much higher revs and with the right setup still produce power up there too.

I take your point about the lower rev range though. Food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Wobba
    Quote Originally Posted by Evogone

Lol Evo, you been drinking or just get your words in a twist? Not sure if I am reading you right

You have a 12.5 ready to go?
    LOL but yes i have one 11.5cr.....ready and waiting company should be all set to go at the end of the year. Off to Barbados for a couple of weeks before christmas and then will be sorted. Got a new job so its a bit manic the last few weeks.!!!

high compression is a good thing and essential for high overlab cams and will enable the use of a much more lairy cam without the loss of low down grunt.