Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Forum User

Twin weber carbs for a williams

Hi guys, I was thinking about getting twin weber carbs for my williams and was wondering does anyone have any info on this type of performance enhancement? I rang up Prima Racing and they supply and fit a kit for £1200. Ive cammed my engine with piper pullies, super chipped it with 4 branch manifold. With the carbs will it be too much strain on the engine and will it be worth it? Thanks

Forum User
    I'm a big fan of carbs really old school but itb really the way to go for the road and to be honest bike carbs work as good as webbers for fraction of the cost. Carbs will need setting up and balancing from time to time and I see your car is chipped that will mean nothing on carbs best go disyless for that. As I say I luuuuuv carbs and thats whats going on the cup but thats a competition car and nothing else. Plus you need to lower rad and so on. If you do go for carbs DONT OVER CHOKE bigger chokes dont mean more power. Hope that helps just my opinion ANDREW.

Forum User

twin weber carbs

Thanks for that mate, I think I'll get them. Would I need to get an after-market sport fuel pump? Will the carbs use a lot more fuel?

What do you mean about the choking, is it another performance part, this type of modification is all new to me so Im learning as we go Thanks.

no uprated fuel pump required, stock is fine.

Forum User
    You will need low pressure fuel pump, fuel regulator, change the rad for a lower one other guys on the site can advise you on which one to get , remove std fuel pump and make a pick up that sits in swirl pot in the tank change throttle cable, carbs also suffer from vibration make sure you get correct mtg for inlet.For me bike carbs would be better for what you want about £500 for everything and you dont change the rad, easier to set up and jet. for£1200 your close to itb set up and I cant stress enough that itb are better for the road and ultimate power gains because you can map fuel and ignition more accuratley to your engine.Is the car track or road car? thats the question youve got to ask youself big choke meens poor air speed will suffer from "bogging down" how wild are your cams will they need a big choke? Hope not confusing the issue dont want to see you spend money on something that you cant live with day to day, as I say I luv carbs but I know my way round them. CHEERS ANDREW. :D

Forum User
    Just noticed in your original question prima supply and fit the kit for £1200 so you should not need to buy any pump , reg or anything. If £1200 is the driveaway price thats good tbh and it will be set up by them.Still recomend itb for everyday use.

Quote Originally Posted by A&P
    Still recomend itb for everyday use.
    True that.

For better undestanding of Weber carbs or ITB's I would recommend you a book written by Dave Walker, it's called Engine management, and it's pretty good, IMHO.

Forum User

twin weber carbs

Thanks for the advice lads.

I do recall Prima racing saying that the kit is bike carb's but I'll ring them again to double check and ask them what exactly I'll get with the deal.

I thought it was a good price for the kit and fitting which is why I did not go for the ITB (throttle bodies?) Ive spoke to a chap from GDI tuning once and he said throttle bodies would cost me £3000 and I would imagine more for fitting which is too much for me. Is it really that expensive for ITB's???

I think I'll buy that book at the weekend and have a read, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrevs
    Quote Originally Posted by A&P
    Still recomend itb for everyday use.
    True that.

For better undestanding of Weber carbs or ITB's I would recommend you a book written by Dave Walker, it's called Engine management, and it's pretty good, IMHO.
    I've got this book, he goes into some detail regarding the set up of carbs.

There's a fair amount on engine theory and the development of engine management to how it is today.

For the basics, its a good start. Covers some data on ITB's as well.

Forum User
    Agree got that book myself even if you know about these things still a cracking book and well writen.If you do go for bike carbs I have been experimenting with them and they give good results for the money and really easy to fit and set up yourself, I know a lot of guys on here dont like them but they do work and work well , just speaking from experience.