Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hello from the spiritual home of the hot hatch

North Wales of course!

Hello I bought a 3 a few weeks ago, and have been watching the forum from a far, but thought it was about time to introduce myself.

Must admit I've cleaned the Willy more than I've driven it, good way to get to know the car, and bar a little bit of work think I've got a good one.

I took it out for a run this afternoon, around some of the best roads in the country, and have to say everything you read is true, they're fab! Great that you don't have to go ball's out to find the balance and have fun!

I'm a proper petrol head, owning some lovely metal, including a 172, 182, 182 cup, 197, R26, E30 M3, a few porkers and an Alpina, and have to say the Willy is really up there in terms of balance, poise and specialness!

Mines a good standard version so will be keeping it like that, boring I know, but would be a shame to molester at this late stage. So just going to be really anal with everything, think I have automotive OCD.

I'll posted a few photos from a drive this afternoon, in the pictures section, and will post more when I've cleaned it again!

Hopefully will be an active member, asking for help, advice, parts and probably favours, and if I can do the same, or anyone fancies a blast or tour on some amazing roads just shout!

All the best!

Welcome! I see you already have owned two of my favourite cars of all time. Look forward to hearing more about your Williams. Was it owned by a previous member from here - the reg looks familiar?

new

Hi, the reg is new (bought it last week) but think the car is well known to the forum, I bought it of unklesammy, before him as far as I can well was owned by Totti (J18 TOT) and before him Ollie16v?

Forum User
    Welcome.

I'm doing a mini driving hol around Wales next year with the GF. I'm coming from Sheffield so straight through Cheshire into north Wales then around sort of anti clockwise. Just looking for the best roads and scenery possible so you will have to give us a few tips.

What Porsches have you owned im a techy at a main dealer

Chris

roads

Thanks! right where do I start, there's so many:

Drive One:
    from Ruthin take the A525 towards Wrexham, after a very long straight and a College you'll come across the Nant-y-Garth pass - great twisty 2 mile stretch, unbelievable cambers worth doing against gravity and then using it for extra momentum. From the top after another long straight hang a right heading towards Llangollen where you'll have some great scenery on the Horse Shoe pass, mind the sheep, they're a nightmare! Head into Llangollen grab a coffee then head to Corwen on the A5 - will be busy but again a nice drive, carry on to Cerrigydrudion - head toward Llyn Brenig on the B4501 again stunning view and roller coaster cambers. Now you can either turn around at the lake and head back to Cerrigydrudion and back to Ruthin via Clocanog forest (the old RAC Rally route) on the B5105 I love this road, or you can carry on to Denbigh moors and explore really quiet and great tarmac (favorite haunt of the Evo mag boys).

Drive two:
    From Bala take the A4212 towards Fron Goch simply an epic drive once you get past the lake the vista opens up, some very fast bends! Head towards Porthmadog where you can do a bit of sightseeing at Portmerion (keep the wife happy) then go onto Morfa Bychan lovely beach to drive on, again another photo haunt for the Evo mag guys. Then expore the coast you've got Criccieth, Harlech, Abersoch etc......

Drive three:
    From Porthmadog head towards Festiniog then take the back roads B4391 then the B4407 towards Ysbyty Ifan, this is the secret road, mostly single track with good vision, some great leaps and jumps with soft landings, and yes you've guested it has featured in Evo mag from time to time. When you reach the A5 head towards Betws y Coed carry on through to Capel Cerig hang a left on the A4086 either stay on it for the Pen y Pass to Lanberis or take the A498 towards Bedgelet and explore either way.

Hope this is a starter for 10, obviously I've simplified the descriptions but each one should take a day (especially if you do a few sections twice), if you need anymore help, photos Evo Magzine references just let me know. Enjoy it!

drives

oh sorry to get into Ruthin, take the A494 from the A55 via Mold, very Alpine!

and the Porkers, not too exciting a with a young family had a Cayenne S until someone parked in the boot, then had a Cayenne GTS, technically great cars but always felt like a tool, though people either thought I was a drug dealer, a T**t or borrowed it of my dad. Got sick of the petrol prices and resentment. Now have an Alpina which I love, but do miss the Porsche dealership perks, Elvington runs in the GT2 @ 196mph, Geneva Motor Show, the new Silverstone facility in the 997's and the PDK gearbox, Carerra Cup racing, now I sound spoilt now..... not really honest!

Which Alpina have you got? I've been looking for a B10 V8S recently to replace the 540i I currently use for family stuff and towing and would be interested in your views if you have one of them (or even a 3.3 which might also fit the bill)

Forum User
    Thanks for the info mate replied to your pm.

It really is a detriment to these cars that somebody with a history if motors like that can get into a Williams and put it up there with the best.

The facility at silverstone is amazing. There's some serious kit there with the reaction testing and adverse track conditions. Before it opened their facility was down at millbroke proving grounds, we got to 178 mph around the banked circuit in a Carrera S. Then went mental around the alpine circuit in a 997 GT3

Alpina

You're gonna hate me, but hear me out. It's a DIESEL let me finish......

Its the new D3 Bi-turbo, and it's the perfect car for my needs, honest! Bought it after Evo Magazine had one on long-term and raved about it.

Its got 4 doors, very subtle looking, but classy and great that fellow petrol heads get it! Has over 450 Nm of torque so in the real world, gives a M3 a run for its money! Side ways action, 650miles to a tank, 52mpg, 39mpg when its thrashed and with a loophole £125 a year tax, and its rare / exclusive.

I know, still sounds like a tractor on tick over, but thats the only downside! I have a young family and do lots of miles so its really ideal, however 265/35 R19 Michelin's aren't cheap

I await the DERV storm.....

Quote Originally Posted by Brealbags
    Thanks for the info mate replied to your pm.

It really is a detriment to these cars that somebody with a history if motors like that can get into a Williams and put it up there with the best.

The facility at silverstone is amazing. There's some serious kit there with the reaction testing and adverse track conditions. Before it opened their facility was down at millbroke proving grounds, we got to 178 mph around the banked circuit in a Carrera S. Then went mental around the alpine circuit in a 997 GT3
    The facility is amazing, the skid pan with the remote side shifting road, the water walled slope, then the sideways multi-grip circuit, I want to go back now. Did you ever do the high speed run at Elvington? The Porsche driver asked if I'd taken my brave pills before I slipped behind the wheel, I did 193mph on the 1st run, the 196mph on the second, was a whole new world!!

Must be cool seeing the precious metal and tinkering, whats been the nicest? Have you had a GT in your mits?