Driveshaft query

My Williams driveshaft came apart on the driver's side near the gearbox due to the subframe being loose and shifting:

I have inspected both the cup and the tripod part that slots into it and neither seem damaged. I have undone the front strut and removed the driveshaft and have managed to slide it back into the cup without any problem, and I think if I bolt everything back up and sort the loose subframe it will probably stay in position in future. Is there normally anything that keeps the tripod located within the cup that I may have broken, such that I would need to replace the driveshaft, or should I be okay now?

Looks like you may have torn the rubber boot? As long as the rubber boot is securely fastened to the cup with CV grease inside, and a rollpin through the driveshaft into the gearbox spline, it'll be fine.

Great, thanks. Rubber boot is actually fine, no tears or splits. It attaches to a metal cylinder which seems to slot over the 'cup' part of the CV joint at the other end. I think the roll pin is through the short shaft between the CV 'cup' and the gearbox, so that is still in situ.

No harm in putting the car together and testing it out tbh.

That joint went on mine recently and it gave vibration when cornering and when you pushed/pulled the shaft it moved a lot within the gaiter. New one didn't.

If its shagged and you can tell when driving, replace it. If not, happy days.

Yes, that's what I was thinking. As I slid it back in it seems quite a secure fit so hopefully no slop in there that will have it knocking around and I'll be back on the road with just a couple of subframe bolts (7 quid each from Renault ) and a dogbone. If it does wobble then new shaft it is.