Bit confused about brake discs

The Williams just failed the MOT because of a poor handbrake (never thought it was too bad myself, holds it rock solid with just a couple of clicks of the lever)

The garage said the cause is probably due to pitted rear discs and pads are a bit low. I couldn't think why the handbrake would fail because of pitted discs?? Seized calipers and worn pads maybe but discs? Anyway so I bought some cheap new pads for them to fit and hopefully that will do the trick for the MOT.

If that doesn't work, what discs should I get? I've been ringing around all morning and I'm totaly confused because no one seems to know what part number should fit and what bearings go with what discs etc. Prices are all over the place as well.

I just did a search here and someone recomended this set:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

or a bit cheaper without pads.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Will these definitely fit a 93 Williams? I'm honestly not sure if it has ABS or not. Does it matter?

Cheers
    Ben

* Uncle Schakal * knitted by nanas since 1995 , now available with added GSOH
    yeah it does matter , if you have abs you can always get the non
    abs discs and swap the abs rings over though .

Forum User
    A '93 willy doesn't have abs so it doesn't matter if you get abs or non abs discs

Well, that's the thing. One supplier I rang took the reg number and said, of yeah mate, you've got ABS. How he worked that out I don't know.

So the only difference in the rear discs/hubs is one has got an ABS ring and the other hasn't? Bearing sizes are all the same yeah?

* Uncle Schakal * knitted by nanas since 1995 , now available with added GSOH
    Quote Originally Posted by Benvk
    Well, that's the thing. One supplier I rang took the reg number and said, of yeah mate, you've got ABS. How he worked that out I don't know.

So the only difference in the rear discs/hubs is one has got an ABS ring and the other hasn't? Bearing sizes are all the same yeah?
    take a picture of your engine bay , we should be able to see if you
    got abs or not .

SIMPLEESSSS

Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Benvk

Yeah all the same bar the ABS ring. Only the Willy 3 came with ABS but It could have been an option though I've never seen a Willy 1 with ABS. As schaks said, pop a picture up of your engine bay in the battery are and we'll soon say for sure!

Just been told that one of the rear calipers is seized solid.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a cheap new or recon one?

Forum User
    If the ABS stuff is applicable - a word of warning - don't rely on being able to exchange the ABS rings.

Had the discs and pads changed on my car this weekend just gone. If you read this, thanks again Cliolord :D

Ordered the wrong rear discs. Well, I was under the impression I could take the old ABS rings from the old discs and put them on the new ones, so I didn't realise they even made ABS specific rear discs.

The ABS ring was an absolute whore to get off, and even then, it didn't even fit on the new discs.

If you can get some with the ABS rings already on, then I'd go for that.

I've fitted the new discs anyway, not too fussed about having ABS anyway.

Thanks for the tip. Just got hold of a secondhand caliper off ebay, hopefully in decent shape., £20!

Sounds like the MOT garage is trying to get you to spend money with them.

Bet the handbrake is fine...