Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The itch to buy a new car....

Does anyone find it frustrating?

I think I want a new car, I'm not sure that I know what I want, though. I'm tired of driving long motorway distances in a 17 year old French hatchback.

I love driving it on B roads and some nice A roads and occasionally track days dearly, but there is nothing more mundane or frustrating than sitting in crawling motorway traffic watching all the temperature gauges getting close to the red line.

I guess this has no real purpose, but you know the feeling when you want something, but you just dont know what?

Forum User
    I don't know why, EP3 Type R's would fill the box for me

I think I'm erring towards large 6 cylinder vehicles.

Forum User
    I am having the exact same thoughts - audi, merc....................

Any of the above really. There is so much choice, and they're all largely as good as each other.

Forum User
    Know the feeling, bought the Williams and not regretted it for a moment, but the need for a winter car/everyday car seems apparent. Always liked the BMW 5 series for that.

I got the 197 because I knew I'd be doing an increasing amount of work mileage and, despite the valvers never actually breaking down on me, I really needed a turnkey motor.

In that respect it's fulfilled its duty pretty well, but tbh I miss the fun of the valver.

My thoughts now are that once paid off next year, I'll sell the 197, get myself a 330i MSport Touring Auto for daily hacking.

And if there's space left I'll get something old and fun as well. :D

I'll add I also wanted to scratch the new car itch.

I wanted something that at least wasn't slower than the valver, but brand new and the 197 fell right in my range.

Doubt I'll ever buy brand new again though, although 197 prices are holding up really quite well.

Must be because the 200 is a dog. Shame though because after a blast this w/e with a Teg and a Mito 1..4 turbo it does need just that bit more torque low down and a quicker rack. 200 has both of those things.

I have a 197 at my disposal most weekends, but its not mine. Decent car now its steering column fault has been fixed. Still feels far too big for a Clio however.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey McPot
    Still feels far too big for a Clio however.
    Yes. Tight twisty B-roads are not it's forte imo. After this w/e I realised that the 50mph and upwards B-roads are really where it's at home. You're very conscious of its size on the tight stuff and always finding yourself having to drop it a cog more than anticipated.