Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

could i shell my williams with ordinary clio 1.4 shell

Lads just wondering is this possible, I think my williams 3 is gone past repair as the rust is everywhere. Im in ireland and we dont have 16V or williams shells. I was playing with the idea of getting new quarter panels and inner sections and putting them onto an ordinary 1.4 standard clio shell. Has this been done or is it possible. I had a good look at 1.4 shell and the only difference i can see are the arches. The cars here dont have a spec of rust on them and if this would work id end up with a great car. Dying to Hear why i shouldnt do this ha ha. Any replies would be great thanks.

Forum User
    shou.d be possible as the only difference, as you said is the rear arches. with those done it will be no different

would you sell your williams as im in northern ireland ? if you would how much would you be looking?.

Thanks for reply mate. Was thinking it would be possible to do it.. Sorry wouldnt sell it as there cant be many williams 3 left on the road. Im going to restore it back to showroom condition i hope.

Forum User
    Hello there mate,

Yes it is possible! This is what I've done with my 16v as also here in Malta we have veryyyyy few 16v and no williams at all! So obviously no shells to buy.

Only trouble you'll run into is that the inner arch will not meet to the inside of the quater panel just by an inch or so.. what my panel beater has done was split the inner arch in 2 places and streched the metal to meet the panel. Spot welded the quater panel and re-welded where he had split open. If done by a professional you wouldn't ever notice!

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy3767
    Thanks for reply mate. Was thinking it would be possible to do it.. Sorry wouldnt sell it as there cant be many williams 3 left on the road. Im going to restore it back to showroom condition i hope.
    surely if your going to restore it you would have to fix up the geniune williams shell and not build the parts into a standard 1.4 shell.all the best which ever way you go for.

Forum User
    lol ^ any one who knows these cars though would spot that and know it's a ringer...

And illegal.

Mat.

Forum User
    Just like the old saying ' It's only illegal if you're caught' I guess haha, still, wouldnt recomend it

Im a panel beater myself so making inner arches wont be a problem. Ill weld in all chassis numbers so it still looks original. I priced the quarter panels today and there 434 euro plus vat ha ha, jesus we get stung over here.