Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ticking noise

Forum User

ticking noise

Hi, over the past few weeks when i start the willy up i hear a ticking noise, first it started off quite but now is louder, it sounds like a set of tappets but it isnt or a belt pulley which it is neither , would i be right in saying its the injectors??? and does it mean there malfunctioning ??

tks
    jaymz

Forum User
    Since i wrote last i'm thinking it maybe one of the tappets as the noise goes after a couple of miles, has anyone had a ticking noise from one of the tappets before and how did you fix it.
    I was going to remove the top cover and oil each one and see if it goes away.

if it goes its definately sounding like one of the hydraulic lifters.

There's no simple way of fixing it. You have to take the cams out to clean or replace lifters. This would then include cambelt change and cam carriers resealing. And if you decide to do this I'd suggest you to get yourself a brand new set of 16 lifters and replace them (I think there was a set for about 90 pounds on eBay).

Forum User
    If it's a tappet might be worth doing an oil flush. Cheap solution whilst you get the cash together for that amount of work?

Sometimes they sort themselves out. Some people report sorting this by using different thickness oil.

If it gets REALLY bad like mine did (2 totally stuck tappets), then swapping them out is the best option.

I did it. Wasn't that hard. You do need to know about he timing belt so you dont cock that up, and make sure the camseals done get damaged or replaced incorrectly (causing leaks). And yea, I would use sealant on the carriers themselves just in case ;)

Priming the new tappets is a good idea too, they have little holes on that suck the oil in as they operate. They do self prime I believe though...

Have a look here for the rest of the pics:

http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w...wobba/Tappets/

Will give you some info

^That looks too hard for me, lol.

Forum User
    it does look a littttle bit complicated, I'm still wondering where this mystical oil filter is located...

Forum User
    Oooooo looks tricky, ill try the engine flush with new oil and slick50 and filter see it that helps. If not then ill speak to my mechanic see what he thinks.

Thanks for the info guys always appreciated.

One last thing is it ok to drive it or would i be risking more damage ??

I think you'll be alright.