Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    F4R's run floating pullies so dont need verniers or setting up, just timed with the standard tools.

You can get the standard ecu running bodies using a map tank, which also can supply the brake servo. I did the majority of the work on Russ's itb conversion, namely fitting it all and getting it running. I suggested it to him about 2 months before hand as he was saving for an omex, but i wanted to see if it was possible after many tuners saying it wasnt.

Well done on the setup, by the way. Cheaper solution and made power.

The thing with a MAP setup like yours is that, while it's absolutely fine for civilised road cams, if you tried to run lairy race cams with large overlap they would 'confuse' the MAP sensor, meaning you would never be able to get them to idle smothly. The same would happen if you tried to run lumpy cams on a standard plenum setup. That's why ITB setups tend to run alpha-n management. Alpha-n is limited in its uses but it's the only way to get 'lumpy' engines to run smoothly at lower revs.

If you fitted performance cams to an F4R surely would still have to adjust them? - depending on what th spec of the cams is. The ecu constanly varies the inlet cam timing, but only with respect to load and rpm. So wouldn't the iniitial cam timing still have to be set?

Quote Originally Posted by kj16v
    If you fitted performance cams to an F4R surely would still have to adjust them? - depending on what th spec of the cams is. The ecu constanly varies the inlet cam timing, but only with respect to load and rpm. So wouldn't the iniitial cam timing still have to be set?
    F4R's can run VVT delete verniers on the raci'er cams.

they can run verniers, but even the 422 profile which will make 240ish will still run standard vvt. Advantage of the vvt system on the f4r's is it pretty much eliminates overlap on idle. retards the inlet cam 16 degrees. or advances it at 1450rpm, depending on how you look at it. Russ' car is brilliant to drive, starts, runs and actaully idles better than a standard one. my itb'd one on omex and 421's idled perfectly with no lumpyness, so i could see it not posing a problem on the standard unit. I think russ is looking at cams next, purely to see how far you can push a standard ecu setup before standalone is NECESSARY.

Quote Originally Posted by kj16v
    The standard VVT on f4r 73x settings are advance/engage @ 1450rpm or 850mBar and retard/disengage at 6500rpm. its purely a on/off system.

the f4r 83x system does run constantly variable.

I'm going to partially hijack here and ask, why not just drop a std Clio 200 lump in?

Cable throttle body from the Cup cars, which has been done by at least 1 197 owner

Nigh on 200bhp (by Renault's book anyway so probably about 180 ) from a totally std lump?

Forum User
    I will wait for someone else to do it then copy them !! before i sell my Itbs and regret it , can anybody tell me if its possible to just stick them on without having to buy an expensive after market ecu, if i could just stick them on the williams in standard form i would be happy enough just to have the noise factor, dont mind if its low bhp, could i not loop the 4 branches into 1 box and hook the map sensor up to that? spamming my own thread now and going completely off track :D

Forum User
    Well its been done on a mk2 so could be possible....

Forum User
    :D must be possible, i reckon if a tuner managed to pul it off many people would buy itbs even for low bhp gain, 1500 for itbs is reasonable on an old car just for the growl, 3-5k is not value for money and takes the fun out of it, whoever pulls it off 1st could make a few bucks as i would buy a chip definitly, also there must be a way of making a shorter manifold to avoid needing yet another expensive radiator, the at power ones are bolt to head i see and maybe shorter trumpets could save that expense of a short rad. might do hat now but i aint sure I could be talking total bollocks above but thats how i see it from a very basic mechanical view point, I.E i know very little CMON KJ GET ON IT DUDE!