Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Decision Time!!

Forum User

Decision Time!!

Right you lot....many of you might remeber me, but I would presume most of those around back then might of moved on...but nice to see some names I recognise at least.

After almost 12 years of ownership, the crunch time has come to finally decide what the heck to do with my Willy2.

It has just sat there outside in my driveway for the last few years not moving anywhere at all.

It is pretty much a standard car, but prior to my move out to Finland (some 5 years ago now) I did a major refurb on it, which got new gearbox, pumps, filters, pipes, brakes, suspension, bushes, wishbones, arb's and full waxoil....etc..

Almost a complete strip down and re-build. Even the seat covers went for a spin in the washing machine!!

But I have newer (and dare I say better) cars to play with that take up my cash...so what do I do...I have to re-kindle some spirit for the poor thing otherwise it is just gonna rust from the inside out.

All I can think of are 3 options...

1 - Sell it, but that means a trailer trip back to UK.
    2 - Strip it and do a proper nut n bolt job rebuild and keep it in the museum!!
    3 - Strip it and try to rally-cross it or track it.

Body, wheels and general chassis are perfect..just common issues really.

Needs new alternator, rear caliper sticking, interior fan motor bushes have gone, steering rack play and the dials don't work (usual speedo issue - not wobble though)..so easy fixes all round if I can be arsed.

what to do....

I remember you, doubt ur remember me tho lol

Id go for option 2 or 3. I wouldnt consider selling it. From the way its sounding i cant imagine your get an awful lot of money for it....and trailering it bk to uk will cost a fair bit too. Your only regret it....seen it loads of times.

Keep it!

LA

I reckon your best option is to turn it into a track car.

Make the most of what you have and use it to its fullest.
    Make the most of the amazing roads and stages im guessing you have over there.
    Not a good time to sell at the moment. And keeping it and doing nothing with it would also be a shame.

Good luck deciding!

If:
    1) The car is like a well-loved family member.
    2) Your significant other is not complaining about it.
    3) You have somewhere protected to park it.
    4) No major impact to your current finances & transportation needs.
    5) And a good chance of getting it back to proper running order for a small fraction of the price of a used hot-hatch.

Then, keep it.

Get it back on the road in it's original glory when you are good and ready, or take it to the grave with you.

PS: Am in similar situation as you, so I know the gnawing feeling quite well.

Mod it. Track it. Mod it more.

Forum User
    yep, sure is like a family member alright....had it long enough.

Yep its in decent nick, apart from the minor niggles which I am sure we have all experienced at some stage or other. Not difficult to fix, but a pain in the ar$e all the same.

Can't really say I fancy slaggingg it, as it won't be fast enough. Sure it would be alot of fun, but I just love the 4 wheel drive on the gravel roads out here. I also run a heavily modded impreza WR1, so the little willy won't stand a chance next to that.

I think my best option is to get it back to original, but spend time on it and strip it to component level again and bare shell...then build it up from scratch with all new parts. Maybe an engine re-build and another gearbox build for the hell of it.

Would it be a wise choice during re-build to go for OEM parts, or use uprated stuff? Don't mind either, but if going for true rebuild then surely OEM would be better even if slightly crappy...or does any of the newer Renault stuff drop on now? Like brakes...cause they are sh$te.

Forum User
    Pic of it as now...

pic of its bigger brother

very nice indeed.

i love snowy pics. You should deffinatly keep it either way.

strip it track it......above all....enjoy it.

these cars should be driven hard....thats what they were built for at the end of the day. anything else would be like buying a kettle and trying to cook micro meals in it imho.

Forum User
    so how much we talking to prep it properly for the track then?

I am guessing the bottom end just needs balancing out, but then the heads need a bit of work with a set of proper cams with throttle bodies and a Motec M800 ECU or similar. Plus an LSD would be nice and for sure a stronger gearbox, cause the standard JC5 bearings are made from chocolate. Uprated brakes, suspension and ARB's the list could be endless.

By my reckoning then we are talking upwards of 5k...as I like to do things properly and up here I would have to assemble it myself and send all machine work back to UK...is BenR still knocking about as Angel Works??

The scooby took over 15k in various mods, so in comparison this would be a cheap and somewhat disposeable track car. I told the mrs the Atom would be for the track...scoob for me/rally and the disco for family...clio for nostalgia.

or free to a good home if you come and get it!! road trip anybody??