Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid 432's visit to the garage...here we go again!

So i need,

Ball joint pinch bolts (may get a pair) Part number anyone?

Discs and pads as the rear ones arn't working apparently.

Rear shockers or torsion bar rubber something something (cant read his writing but the rear shocks are squeeeking when i push down on the car.

Maybe front springs as the ones on the car are held down with zip ties and look a bit short. Not sure if the whole struts need doing.

Need to secure my water pump and welding to sills before next mot.

My exhaust is de-cat, but it looks like the de-cat pipe has thrown off the fitting of the exhaust. There are at least two bushes missing holding it to the body.

I'm wondering if i should just take the exhaust system with the cat off my 16v. I will also need a lamba sensor as the other one is ripped off.

Soooo thats that, plenty of things to do. Anyone want to come to warrington and help me with some stuff? I'll pay you!..

At least it's not a gear box this time

Any help is appreciated.

Also, when i came to start the car this morning it didnt start and then again coming out the garage. Voltmeter shows only 12v when the battery is on, i believe it should be over 13. Altanator? I've been doing work with the radio on at night...but never for too long. Could this be the cause, do you think a trickle charger would work on the battery? Hmmm

Re: Hybrid 432's visit to the garage...here we go again!

Quote Originally Posted by stelucas
    So i need,

Ball joint pinch bolts (may get a pair) Part number anyone?

Discs and pads as the rear ones arn't working apparently.

Rear shockers or torsion bar rubber something something (cant read his writing but the rear shocks are squeeeking when i push down on the car.

Maybe front springs as the ones on the car are held down with zip ties and look a bit short. Not sure if the whole struts need doing.

Need to secure my water pump and welding to sills before next mot.

My exhaust is de-cat, but it looks like the de-cat pipe has thrown off the fitting of the exhaust. There are at least two bushes missing holding it to the body.

I'm wondering if i should just take the exhaust system with the cat off my 16v. I will also need a lamba sensor as the other one is ripped off.

Soooo thats that, plenty of things to do. Anyone want to come to warrington and help me with some stuff? I'll pay you!..

At least it's not a gear box this time

Any help is appreciated.
    Ball joint pinch bolts (may get a pair) Part number anyone? Scrappy £1 or Renault, just call them

Discs and pads as the rear ones arn't working apparently. = Seized calipers or brake bias valve seized in closed position. Can unseize bias valve easy. Seized Calipers mean winding them on and off a lot and/or bleeding brakes/new pads.

Rear shockers or torsion bar rubber something something (cant read his writing but the rear shocks are squeeeking when i push down on the car = COULD be the rubber bushes in the ends of the shock absorbers that bolt onto the chassis. Fun job if you don't know how to do it hehe.

Maybe front springs as the ones on the car are held down with zip ties and look a bit short. Not sure if the whole struts need doing = Thats probably because the springs have either snapped or have been cut to make it lower, the problem with this is when the car goes over bumps it may unseat the springs from their seats. Just get some new springs from GSF -35mm lowering ones should suit? Cheap too.

Need to secure my water pump and welding to sills before next mot = hmmm, I think he means pump is leaking. Pump is cheap, but a shite job, lots of big brackets have to come off to get to it. Sill welding isnt as bad as it sounds, a decent welder can grind back the rust and do it easily and seal it with undercoat.

My exhaust is de-cat, but it looks like the de-cat pipe has thrown off the fitting of the exhaust. There are at least two bushes missing holding it to the body. = Ok, so the mid section hanger is not there. They can be removed, it's two bolts. Sometimes they knock on aftermarket exhausts you see. Rubber exhaut mounts are like £1 each. Just do the other missing one yourself and save money and time and learn something in the process.

I'm wondering if i should just take the exhaust system with the cat off my 16v. I will also need a lamba sensor as the other one is ripped off. Swap downpipe with your valver spare. and plug in lambda. Bosch lambdas are about £60 and a bitch to get off, thats probably why yours is batter to hell and not plugged in (this will also cause shit cold start idle and startup issues).

Quote Originally Posted by stelucas
    Also, when i came to start the car this morning it didnt start and then again coming out the garage. Voltmeter shows only 12v when the battery is on, i believe it should be over 13. Altanator? I've been doing work with the radio on at night...but never for too long. Could this be the cause, do you think a trickle charger would work on the battery? Hmmm
    12.4 v I believe.

Thanks Wobs, awesome help. Yeah i think just springs will do too, my uncles mechanic is arsey. And i'm going to live with the squeeky rear shocks for a bit i think. He sprayed some wd40 on the rubber i think cause i cud smell it when i looked a min ago. I've just changed the battery over from the 16v to the williams and it's starting fine for now. Just hope the altanator charges it properly. The volts don't go down when i turn my headlights on or my heating, uncles thinks thats a sign its dying or dead.

He said something about the rear thingies being sizied so hopefully it's just that. Sorry i got it wrong, or he wrote it wrong, cause i think he means the electric water thingy, that black cylinder thing, because it's just rolling round in the engine bay. Haha. I also noticed it didnt have mounts on top of the radiator holding it to the body so i stole these from the 16v too. Got a feeling the 16v is just going to be a shell soon :p My uncle wont fit second hand bolts so it looks like a trip to renault.

I'm having a bad day with the car as for some reason the drivers door now doesnt open from outside. Super...just what i needed.

Ohh and it's worth noting the shock itself is red, like the spring. I'm thinking red shocks are probably after market...cant i still fit a diff spring to it? I would like this because at the moment it sits a little too low.

can fit any spring you need mate no worries, just get a pair as wobb says from gsf

aux water pump, just zip tie it to something, that all mine is held on with, it doesnt really need much just to secure it. it does have a little bracket but it gets removed usually

ball joint pinch bolts? whats wrong with them!!!!! lol! any m10 nut and bolt will do, i just yoinked some stainless ones from work :D best off with shouldered tho so bit through pinch isn’t threaded

Swap rear shocks off the 16v onto the hybrid to check, only 2 bolts per side, piece of proverbial

start issue is probs just battery, see how it goes with that one on now

release all clamps on the exhuast and re seat it on new rubbers, check all clearances to body underneath and reseal joint/tighten to sit it correctly!

what exhaust manifold is on it atm? if its williams cat/decat of the 16v wont fit!

Thats a brand new battery on the car! check your stereo isnt draining it!
    The front shocks are apexi iirc so the shorter springs should be ok didnt notice the cable ties myself and im also genuinly shocked about the rear brakes, the car had a fresh mot not long before i bought it!

oh for rears as wobb says try freeing off the bias valve, then try freeing off the calipers, more likely to be the sliders than the piston itself but could be either.

does the handbrake work?

drivers door, spray a shed load of wd40 into the back of the mechanism in the door where it latches to the peg on cars chassis. then work the handle up and down on the outside for about a fortnight...........well a few times, till it feels to be freeing up

Haha don't worry midge, you're probs right about the car stereo, i'm going to take it out. I have been trying to work out why the front left door speaker wasn't working so i've probably left some bare wire somewhere

It always started fine, so i can't see it just suddenly happening the week i get the car. Though with my luck!

Ta Coops, yeh i'll secure the pump myself. And one of the pinch bolts is missing a head so i thought i'd raplace both while i'm at it. Is there any need? He's funny about bolts so if i take anything that isn't renault he'll probably hit me.

Front shocks sound ok then, i'll just shove some new springs in there that arn't too short. When i say i will, i mean maybe you will coops

I'm pretty sure it's a 16v manifold.

And when you say swap the rear shocks...i really don't know how to do that. I will do my best to find out.

Think i could do all this for pretty cheap then? I'll just hire you for the day Ben. I'll drive to you, then i'll take the turbo as a curtesy car :D haha. You can fix my rear break while your at it!

Problem with all this is a don't have anywhere to work really, i can't find my axcel stands either. Poop.

My sills are pretty bad too, ill have to get them done before the next MOT. 100 quid a sill he says. Hm.

I don't know what a bias valve is, and yeh the handbrake is fine.