Thread: Cambelt Change

Cambelt Change

I need to change the cambelt on my Williams asap was going to send it to ktec but looks like there busy
    How difficult is it to do yourself and do you need any special tools?
    Can it be done in a day as need to dive to manchester Monday and dont want to drive the car that far with cambelt change overdue

Phil

Re: Cambelt Change

Quote Originally Posted by Itsme
    I need to change the cambelt on my Williams asap was going to send it to ktec but looks like there busy
    How difficult is it to do yourself and do you need any special tools?
    Can it be done in a day as need to dive to manchester Monday and dont want to drive the car that far with cambelt change overdue

Phil
    Hello Phil

I'll be honest. It's a shit job with engine in car.

You don't have to have them but cam locking tool and crank locking pin are handy. Saves time with resetting timing.

Basically it's a case of getting car in air, supporting sump, taking engine mount off and cam pulley cover/lower belt cover and lower aux pulley, winding crank to TDC, lock pulleys and crank, loosen tensioner, belt off, new belt on....lots of swearing later with belt on...tension belt, pulley and crank locks off, HAND CRANK ENGINE, covers on, aux pulley on etc etc, refit mount, wheel, tension aux belt, headlight in, grill on, wheel on lower down, tighten wheel bolts job done.

May want to replace pulleys with cambelt kit at same time, up to you.

Things that can go wrong:

Rounded pulley cover bolts
    Incorrect timing
    Incorrect belt tension
    Incorrect aux belt tension
    Putting a hole in your sump jacking it up

Checking belt tension I find is the hardest bit as the part you use on the belt to check tension is virtually impossible to check as you cant reach it.

Was reading bout the locking tool and pin not worth buying it if im only gona do it once. There will be 2 of us doing it knew I had to jack it up etc was worried cos if I break something I cant afford to be without my car ill try find somewhere local tomorrow that are willing to do it lol.
    I need to do the engine mount aswell at same time.
    I want to have a go at it save me some money so can get wheels done

Quote Originally Posted by Itsme
    Was reading bout the locking tool and pin not worth buying it if im only gona do it once. There will be 2 of us doing it knew I had to jack it up etc was worried cos if I break something I cant afford to be without my car ill try find somewhere local tomorrow that are willing to do it lol.
    I need to do the engine mount aswell at same time.
    I want to have a go at it save me some money so can get wheels done
    And minor dent in the rear

The worst thing that can happen is you get the timing wrong and bend the valves. That's why you crank the crank pulley (clockwise, resinserting the bolt) by hand a load of times first.

The belt should be marked in three places and the pulleys should have indented marks (which you line up with two marks on rocker cover) as well, and the crank pulley should too. Crank pulley should point downwards but don't be surprised if its not straight down.

It wont take all day, but take your time if it's the first time you do it. I guess you know about tensioning the aux pulley.

You may find the cam pulleys jump out of place when you remove belt, just watch out for that as some people don't notice...

I didn't have any problems with cams slipping, the marks on the belt make it fairly foolproof - lack of space and rounded off allen key bit caused the main issues. Expect to raise and lower the engine a lot!

Banned

Cambelt

What mileage should the belt be changed? Any where in da midlands tht does it that doesnt charge the earth?

Service interval is 72k or 5 years.

Mat.

Re: Cambelt

Quote Originally Posted by matt.turner
    What mileage should the belt be changed? Any where in da midlands tht does it that doesnt charge the earth?
    I can do you a cambelt change for a fair price.