Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

My new williams, kinda.

Hello there. Made a crazy bid on ebay for a 1.8 16v clio with a williams engine mk1 and am now the proud owner of a car.

The car itself is very tatty. But it runs ok, seems to pull well through gears, but the gearbox isn't perfect, on my 4 1/2 hour trip home earlier it jumped out of 5th gear twice! Annoying, i just had to pop it back in but still. Gr.

Not sure if it's a common prob or not...or it's because of the engine transplant a year ago, or its just a gearbox giving up. From what i understand, i could replace it with a few gear boxes. I used to have a 172 but lost my job and this is the best i can do, i'd hate to think i wasted my money. I'll be posting here often hopefully, because my car is a mess. But i already love it. Damn.

Hello You now own what is commonly known as a Hybrid

The gear popping out may not be as terminal as you think, so don't worry!

Just awoken to this wonderful new day, so I can barely think yet. Will post up later on things it could be...or maybe someone else will first

Ah i thought that might be what a hybrid was but wasn't sure. Cool.

I saw on K-tech's site they have bushes to "stop the notorious gear jump" that might be worth a go. They are 40 pounds. I dunno, but thanks for your reply

popping out of gear can be worn engine mounts mate, most likely the rear lower gearbox mount, known as the dogbone mount' whip it off and fill it with silicone sealant or tiger seal to stiffen it up on the cheap

The plot...get's worse, maybe much worse...

Thanks for the replies, i would look at doing that but when i went to raise my car i saw what i think is oil. I have a few questions really. But first a little about this car.

I bought it off ebay for 500 quid. It's a 16v with williams engine, it's got a full scorpion exhaust and im told it has been chipped. I bought it yerterday and it has a ton of paper work. It's also been lowered a nice amount. However, a boy racer has had this...put some horrible tint on it (now ripped off) and there is the odd dent not to mention the classic wheel arch rust. I bought this car with the intention of slowly restoring it, but it also being my daily driver (i commute a tiny amount during a day, just a couple of miles) So if the gearbox needs replacing i can walk for a week. But what im worried about is the cost of getting this right. The gears are hard to put in an not only do i have the 5th gear prob, ive now notcied it jumped out of second too. Doesn't matter what speed i'm going. Goes back in fine. Reverse is hard to get and first takes an attempt or two.

I'm worried i've taken on too much. I have an uncle with a garage to help and i know a bit about cars myself, but only about cars in general not this. When a car jumps out of gear its usually the sync or linkage or a small bolt thats come loose, but i can't apply it as well as i know it

Anyway, lifted the car and there seems to be oil or something coming from the engine. It's still running fine...the dip stick doesnt show loss of oil. What im really really suprised about is how heavey the steering is, yet i just found a bottle for power steering? I swore it didnt have power steering so maybe thats gone too. It's going to my uncle next week i guess but i'd love to know a bit more about the car before i do. If it's going to be 500 quid to sort i'm not sure it's worth it for a hybrid...i could probably break it and make money couldn't i?

Here are some pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That last picture looks like the gearbox has been bodged with crazy putty?

Mat.

ai, looks to be a bit dodgy on the gearbox! that leak is also gearbox oil, not engine oil looking at where it is

where are you based?

Forum User
    I used to have a 172 but lost my job and this is the best i can do
    I'd have a hybrid over a 172 anyday the sound alone is enough for me :D.
    That does look like crazy putty, i use it for stickin on gas meters (not a gasman though no shit please lol).

A quick reply while I'm at work. It's a plastic ball shaped object that.I've no idea about. It's hollow an squishy. The black thing u mean? I'm from the north west.

where abouts north west? just thinking someone could check over the car for you, i'm in warrington all sunday :D