Thread: what cams?

Forum User

what cams?

Am in the process of rebuilding a megane f7r bottom end to go into my valver. have just been offered a gas flowed and ported 16v cylinderhead fitted with piper 285 cams and vernier pulleys. will these cams be suited to the conversion? and will the valvers smaller inlet valves cause any problems or loss of power. Any opinions or advice would be much appreciated thanks

Forum User
    A ported 16V head shold be as good if not better than a stock Williams head.
    A fully ported 1.8 head is just the same as a ported Williams head assuming they stick the bigger valvers in the 1.8 head.
    285 cams tough are quite high I've got 270 in mine and it only kicks at 5k which is very high you need a 7k redline at least to use them.
    260 degree cams are supposed to be better.

depends on the level of worked carried out...a stnd willy head wont be as good as a big-valve 1.8 head, if the fettling has been done properly

Sam, how goes it?!! still need the head? been a hectic week, sorry i havnt been in touch!

as for cams, it depends on ur budget as much as anything else. u go too high on lift and valve gear needs revised. u could get away with 10.5 or mm of lift on stnd gear.

thing is with these heads, is that to warrant any gain u need larger inlet head diamater, but the ports are so damn large! thats why i chose the meg head

Forum User
    cheers guys am tempted by the head can get head cams and verniers for £200 worth it if the cams are useable. hows the new job stan? u sorted the mapping? prety much decided on not using the megane head seems like a lot of headwork.

its spot on mate....benn driving nobles and a couple of arial atoms!!

Forum User
    sounds like a pretty awesome job to me. am on the look out for a head asap its holding me up now lol cant wait to get the 2.0l in. just brought full leather aswell liked the look of stans.

if the valver heads got bigger valves in and the cams id say its worth a try.the std valver head and std willy cams on mine at the mo feels really fukkin slow now compared to the mild cams it had on the willy head lol

i miss em already lol