Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Forum User

Cam belt replacement - advice seeked

Hi
    I have a 1994 williams, done only 49k , the timing belt although checked a few years ago has not being changed since new.
    This might be stating the obvious, but I guess replacement is long over due and I am asking for trouble if I don’t get it done soon.

Rang Renault and they are quoting £820+vat to replace. Apparently the belt price is £191+vat.

That seems a bit steep to me, but not having a load of tools and know how I do not fancy trying it myself.
    Has anyone got any advice, on if the belt can be acquired cheaper elsewhere or if a normal high street mechanic can be trusted to replace it?

Thanks Nick

Forum User
    don't go to Renault...!!! you'll pay full dealer rates and I doub't there's many technicians left now who have knowledge of a Williams...

Depends how people price the work, some say to take the engine out, others not. It's a tight job with the engine still in but can be done...

You should only be looking at around £110 + vat for the kit plus fitting... a good independant garage should only charge you £350ish + vat...

If you are handy with the spanners it can be done on your own...

i've heard of cars with original cam belts before, one lad had a valver at 18 years old with 140k on it and original belt!!lol! and to be honest if its in good nick its probably last, but it is a risk and i'd get it done

cam belt can be done a lot easier than that, £80 for kit from GSF car parts i think, make sure you get tensioner and idler pullies done at same time (should be in a full kit)

high street garage could do it but may not want to, but there must be someone off the forums willing to do it for you, and i can imagine on a low mileage car like yours should be a dream to do, hopefully no knackered bolts or anything!!

I could do it but i'm a bit of a distance from you.

Mat.

cambelt kit is no more than £75 + vat.

Forum User
    There's a good independent renault garage based in North Camp (near Farnborough so not too far from you) called Renault speed and they've got experience with the 16v and williams. Probably worth a call if you don't want to have a go.

Forum User

cambelt

Hi mate,

I contacted my renaault dealer and they quoted 299 inc vat. I thought that was reasonable.

However, I am sure they are not aware of the difficulty of it. I will ring again to confirm and if they do go ahead, will make sure its a fixed price!

Forum User
    K-tec will do it for £155+ VAT, based down the M3 in Verwood

Forum User
    Hi might as well keep this thread running.
    Need another belt done.

RenaultPartsDirect have a Renault Clio Williams Cam Belt Kit for £104, which looks right, but it mentions its for a F7R 2.0 Petrol Engine

Is this part good for a williams 1? and is the price good?

I thought the engine for the williams 1 was a F7P ?

also they have a water pump for £68, again for F7R engine
    Again
    Is this part good for a williams 1? and is the price good?

cheers
    Nick

The Williams is F7R but the cambelts & water pumps are the exact same parts for the F7R and F7P

Buy that cambelt kit as it's a bargain at that price & you wont find a decent pattern part for less, as for the water pump you can get a better price for the exact same item elsewhere https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175097938...Bk9SR6yJjor0YQ