Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

first ever 1.8 16v engine rebuild, any advise?

Hi guys, I will be starting my 1st ever engine re-build soon and would. Like. To hear some advise befor I start, also how many different types off gaskets are inside the 1.8 16v engine

head gasket set
    bottom end gasket set

then depending how far your going

tappets
    piston rings
    bearings, big end and main + thrust bearings
    oil pimp

can also have head reconditioned so new collets, guides and valve seals plus re-seating of the valves

bottom end rehoned and cleaned

lots to do depending on budget and what your after and also how tired the engine is currently, why are you rebuilding it?

Plenty of sealant on the bearing end cap on the flywheel side if there isn't enough in the right place, oil will leak past the rear main oil seal.

I had to re-do this on mine last weekend

Apologies for the crap picture but you should be able to see where I mean, it will leak from where the end cap meets the block if there's not enough there

Forum User
    Im expecting mine to look like that Paddy

thanks all, i had to sell my old tb engine to help with the morgage, but now i am missing it and eventually gonna tb the spare engine i have,

the condition of my engine atm is, its got full service history, i took it out my car atleast 1.5years ago so its not a stranger too me, since then has been sitting on its side uncovered outside ( sorry to have treaded the engine in this manor lol but just being honest ),
    if i can remember correctly the engine was running fine except on over run ( wen the revs were decreacing lets say from 6k it slightly smoked a lil ) other than that it worked fine, also it obv will need cleaning up and will need an altonator, altonator bracket, tensioner, and a few engine mounts,

wot would you guys recomend from reading this? btw coops i will eventually be runnin this on jenvy tb's powered by omex.

Quote Originally Posted by Coops
    head gasket set
    bottom end gasket set

tappets
    piston rings
    oil pimp

can also have head reconditioned so new collets, guides and valve seals plus re-seating of the valves

bottom end rehoned and cleaned

lots to do depending on budget and what your after and also how tired the engine is currently, why are you rebuilding it?

Forum User

head

hello mate got a really nice head that you can buy back. had new stem seals and valves lapped and flowed plus mad cams. never got round to fitting it, as i went for a bigger valved head. ready to bolt on.Ray

thank you sooty, pm has been sent

sooty just realised its u! haha, im such a plonka, how you doin?

i have the engine up on the stand now, iv got asfar as stripping the manifolds of, all the brackets, now the cams can be seen nicely, tomrrow im gonna get the torx fitting to undo the bolt's holdin the cams down, i have taken pic's but carnt upload them, :( i will keep you up2 date, that way if i arise a problem should be easier to explain.

Quote Originally Posted by Coops
    head gasket set
    bottom end gasket set

tappets
    piston rings
    oil pimp
    Get yo'self an oil pimp, baby!
    Attached Images Attached Images