Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Exceptionally snappy/stiff clutch

The clutch in the williams I just bought it very very heavy, but the most annoying thing is that the clutch just snaps up every time I pull away. Creeping in traffic is nearly impossible, and pulling away from junctions usually produces a bang from the clutch followed by the car leaping forward because it snaps up with so much force.

The clutch is apparently new and was fitted about 18 months ago but the place that did it are miles away.

K-Tec racing will fit a new clutch for £400 all in - but this is expensive for something which might have a cheap fix solution.

Any ideas?

check cable routing and travel

Quote Originally Posted by Coops
    check cable routing and travel
    Thanks. I took it off at the gear box end last weekend and oiled down the sleeve. Is there a specific route through the engine bay it should go? Any key snagging points?

Clutch

it could well be a R5 clutch hence the stiff and snappyness. GSF do one a valver/williams one for £60 which you would probably find more likeable.

as above, the R5 clutches are sometimes fitted to the clios and they are very snatchy compared.

clutch cables should come out the box end, round battery tray mount and clip to inner side of passenger side chassis rail, then loop down to two clips on lower rear tray at back of subframe, then under and behind the steering column joint to the rack before curving as gently as possible up and through the bulkhead, try to ensure the cable routes straight down out the bulkhead then turns round and under the column/rack joint, no kinks or tight bends

* Uncle Schakal * knitted by nanas since 1995 , now available with added GSOH

Re: Clutch

Quote Originally Posted by Grimsby
    it could well be a R5 clutch hence the stiff and snappyness. GSF do one a valver/williams one for £60 which you would probably find more likeable.

why is the r5 clutch snappy then ??
    are we talking the valeo uprated clutch that fits both
    r5 gtt and volvo 480 turbos ?

yep, uprated r5 clutch from gsf is snatchy as hell, its worse than my paddle clutch from the experience i've had of them

yep, uprated r5 clutch from gsf is snatchy as hell, its worse than my paddle clutch from the experience i've had of them
    From the receipts I have with the car, there's a separate invoice for the clutch which is hand written (just says 3 piece clutch kit) and then another receipt a week later saying fitting of clutch kit. Nothing on what it is or anything.

It'd be helpful if I had a diagnosis before I paid for a new clutch coz it spoils the car to be honest

Forum User
    yeah mine is a right pain in the... knee! snatchy as **** lol

* Uncle Schakal * knitted by nanas since 1995 , now available with added GSOH
    does anybody have the part number for the snatchy clutch ?
    i think i might be fitting one to my car shortly